Chapter 16

"Wait, what?!" I saw Julie staring at me, awestruck, and all I could think about was how confused I was. "That doesn't make any sense, I would never-"
"Ciara, why would you take my shoes? Was all that stuff you said made up so that you could take them?" Julie asked, looking hurt.
"Julie, I promise I would never do anything like that! Someone set me up!" I said frantically.
"As you probably know, stealing is never tolerated here. Unless you can provide a substantial amount of proof, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to call your parents, Ciara. We can discuss proper punishments with them on the phone." Mrs. Palinsky said.
I felt like I had been improving so much since I had arrived at camp, and I had developed an amazing friendship with Julie, and it was all being ruined in an instant. And it was because of something I didn't do. Tears started rolling down my face.
"Mrs. Palinsky, I promise that I didn't take Julie's shoes. There has to be something we can do to prove me innocent...."
Then there came a knock on the office door.
Through the little window on the door, I saw Carly's face, frantically waving her little digital camera back and forth. She wanted to show us something.
Mrs.Palinsky opened the door. "Carly, I'm sorry, but you are going to have to come back later-"
"No! Mrs.Palinsky, this is extremely important! I left my camera on my desk this morning facing Ciara's bed, and I accidentally left it on video all day. I was just watching the video and I saw something really weird..."
Mrs. Palinsky closed the door behind Carly. "What was on the video?" She asked.
"It's really hard to tell, but it looks like someone put dance shoes under Ciara's bed..."
Julie's hand flew to her mouth.
"I have no idea who it is, the screen's too small..." Carly said.
"How about we connect it to the TV?" Mrs. Palinsky pointed to the flat screen sitting across from the desk.
Carly came and stood next to me, and I quickly whispered why I was in the office and how much stake laid in this video.
"Oh my God..." She mouthed to me.
After a few minutes, Mrs. Palinsky had hooked up the camera and footage started to show up on the screen. Carly helped her skip to 11:41 AM exactly, which was coincidentally right after Carly and I had left our dorm to go to lunch.
A figure entered the room, and right after she put the shoes under my bed, she turned towards the camera.
When I saw her face, my jaw dropped.