Chapter 17

It was Marie.
Then Julie started crying, too, and Carly just kept saying "Wait, what?", and Mrs. Palinsky started whispering to the assistant director, and I just stood there, unsure of what to do.
"Ciara, I am so sorry I doubted you!" Julie cried, "I can't believe Marie would do that!"
I kept watching the video, and I noticed that Marie was holding in her hand the little pink lanyard that I had attached my dorm key.
So that's where it went.
It all fit perfectly, Marie was totally capable of doing all the sabotaging that week, but there was still one question in my mind.
Why?
"Please bring Marie down here," Mrs. Palinsky said to the assistant director, who nodded and then left. "Carly, you are dismissed, thank you for your help." Carly looked at me nervously and then left the office.
After a few moments of silence, Marie arrived with the assistant director.
"What's going on?" Marie asked. Without saying anything, Mrs. Palinsky rolled the video.
Marie stared at it with wide eyes.
"I... I didn't- I didn't mean to-"
"Marie, I'm very disappointed in you." Mrs. Palinsky said, "I would like point out that you are holding Ciara's dorm key, so you didn't just steal from Julie, but you stole from Ciara, too."
"Marie, are you the person that's been trying to hurt Ciara all week?" Julie asked, enraged.
"What are you talking about?" Marie scoffed.
"You know exactly what I'm talking about. The notes. The sock glue."
"I... I..." Marie stuttered. I held my breath."I did it, alright!" Mrs. Palinsky raised her eyebrows.
"Marie! You haven't been acting strange this week because you were jealous of me, you've been acting strange because you're jealous of me and Ciara's friendship!" Julie said.
"Alright girls, settle down!" Mrs. Palinsky said, "Ciara, Julie, you guys can go. I will speak with you two later."
Julie and I exited the room, and I was so overwhelmed that I didn't say anything.
"Ciara, I am so sorry about what she did. I just can't believe this." Julie said.
"It's alright, Jules, it wasn't your fault. And the good news is, now we don't have to worry about this anymore."
Julie sighed and nodded.
"Are we good?" She asked.
"Of course we are!" I laughed, and then hugged her.

***********************************

It was just after the end of camp performance.
Marie had been sent home, and it turned out to be pretty great because Julie got to share a room with Carly and I.
My mom was there, ready to take Carly and I home, and I was just doing my goodbyes with everyone- before nationals, anyway.
"I can't wait to see you make a fool out of yourself at nationals, number 40!" Taylor cackled as I was talking to Grace.
This is it. I'm not going to put up with this anymore.
"You know, Taylor, I have no idea what you're trying to do. It's pathetic that the only way you can bring yourself up is by putting others down, and I'm sick of it. It doesn't matter how much better of a dancer than me you are, if you can't act like a good person. I'm going to do the best I possibly can at nationals, and I hope you can too without worrying about everyone else." I grinned, and Taylor glared at me and then walked off.
"Ciara, that was awesome!" Grace giggled. Claire and Carly heard too, and they couldn't stop smiling.
I shared hugs with all the girls besides Taylor, and I may or may not have cried a bit, too.
It had been an amazing two weeks, but it was time to get ready for nationals.