Chapter Two

When it was time to sign the birth certificate, we will looked at each other because we didn't know how to spell Evellynn without it looking like Eve-lyn. Darry ended up signing it and spelled it Evellynn. Two L's, two N's. The nurse told us that the proper way to spell it was Evelyn but we just shrugged because we liked it better this way; and plus it's unique.

Evellynn for the first time opened her eyes. It surprised me that she didn't have Dally's chocolate brown eyes like her hair. Instead she had Sylvia's cloudy blue eyes. I stared, smiling down at her. I noticed something very different in her eyes compered to Sylvia's. It's very hard to explain in words. Like Evellynn has Sylvia's eyes but also had something of Dally in them. The stare, the look she gives, it reminds me of the way Dally looked and studied things. She has her mom's color, though she has her father's stare. I tried explaining it to Steve, he didn't see it. I tried Twobit, he didn't see it. I tried Soda and Darry at the same time (because I was tired of explaining it) and Darry saw it but not Soda. I thought Soda would understand, I didn't think Darry would.

We took Evellynn home and showed her around. Our house is extremely small for four people to live in (Darry, Soda, me and Evellynn). So it was an extremely quick tour, though she did fall asleep a quarter of the way in, so I ended up talking to myself. After I showed her (not really 'cause she was asleep) I handed her to Steve (who has been bugging me to hand her over to him) and she opened her eyes again to give him a good stare down as she was to say "who are you?".

"Hi Evellynn, I'm Steve." He says in a baby voice. Honestly, it shocked me how much they were attacked to her. Even Twobit started talking baby to her and Soda too. Darry was warming up some formula for her if she were to get hungry.

...

Evellynn fell asleep again after her bottle.

"She seems like she will be an easy baby." I whisper as I'm holding her.

"Just wait." Darry said blankly. "That's what I thought about you when you were born. You didn't cry the first day, the next, terror." I didn't know if he was joking or not, he had a small smile on his face when he shared that.

"Is that true Soda?"

"I was two when you were born, I don't quite remember Pony."

"I don't think I was that terrible though."

"All babies cry." Soda says. "Sometimes they're fine, sometimes fussy."

"True." Steve and Twobit agreed.

...

You know when you and your friends start talking about one thing then it leads to something totally different? Well that just happened. We started talking about how we are all going to be able to help. Like Steve and Twobit live in different houses but we need their help. We decided we would still live in separate houses of course because our house is small enough, but if something is the matter then Darry will call Steve and Twobit on their house phone and say "gang 911!" then hang up. We decided it would be short and simple because if let's say Evellynn is hurt, he can't be on the phone all day explaining what happened. We would need them right away. Of course if it was an emergency, we would just call 911. Wait what was I talking about before? Oh yeah, so then the subject changed. It changed from that to Johnny and Dally. Twobit remembered what I said in the hospital when I said -"Dally, Johnny and I were all talking one time and the subject of "baby names" came up because Dally's buddy's girlfriend was having a baby. He told me that when he were to have kids, he would name the boy Jesse and the girl Evellynn."- Well he wanted to know if Johnny told me what he would name his kids. I tried my best not to cry because I didn't want to look like a wimp.

"The girl's name would have been Helen Beth." I told.

"That's a beautiful name." Soda smiled.

"Yeah." Steve, Twobit and Darry agreed.

"Sure is." I smiled down.

"What would have been the boy's name?" Darry asks. I thought of what Johnny had told me. I remember when he told me, I hugged him so tight. The more I thought of it, the more tears filled my eyes.

"Pony?"

I let one tear roll down my cheek, I couldn't hold it in, I didn't want to. More were let out, escaping my eyes. Everyone was now staring at me. Not a mean stare, one of those ones people give you when they feel pity for you, when they feel bad for you, one that looks like they might start crying with you even though they didn't feel like I did. They all grabbed me and held me close. I was still holding Evellynn so I tried being as careful as I could. We all pulled away later, I sat down, wiping my eyes, remembering I didn't answer his question and that I needed to.

"Johnny told me if he were to have a boy, he was going to name it...He was going to name him after me." I was fresh out of tears by then, I sat wordless.

"Awe Pony. That's very nice."

"Yeah, well, It's never gonna happen now!" I got up, handing Evellynn to Twobit. I was about to leave but Darry grabbed my arm.

"Ponyboy, come here." He said calmly, sitting me back down. "Ponyboy, I know you are still very sensitive with the whole Dally and Johnny situation. And Ponyboy, you know that we are always here if you need to talk, don't be afraid to cry. Greasers are tuff but all of us have cried before." He was staring me dead in the eyes with a serious expression on his face. He's never cared for me this much before. "Ponyboy, I know how you feel, we all do. It all happened to us too. But I do know that you got closer to Johnny when you two were at the church. And I understand you began to understand Dally and his wishes. I don't want you to think this was any of your fault because it wasn't. I hope you believe me, I don't want to lose you, ever again. I don't want to lose no one no more. Ponyboy it will all be ok." A tear rolled down his cheek, maybe he was thinking of what I might do. What would I do? Blow like Dally? I haven't thought of anything like that, I don't want to drag on like this, I know I have to let go some day to Johnny and Dally, but not soon...

I pulled Darry into a hug and whispered "You won't lose me." In his ear. Which made a few more tears run down his cheek. Soon enough everyone was hugging once again. It's been so hard for us lately.

PPI