Chapter Four

Ponyboy's POV

I applied for a job. It's at the market that's about a ten minute walk. Not the one that Dally robbed. I would never step foot in that place again... Anyways it's really run down though, more like a corner store. They told me they would let me know if I got the job. I don't see why they wouldn't hire me right on the spot. Like it's not like they gonna get someone else wanting to work there at a crummy store.

When I got home from the interview, Sylvia was over. I had forgotten today was the day she was supposed to come over and help us with the baby; so Steve and Twobit had "the day off.." I wish she haven't had come. I like Stacy and all but just something inside me thinks she's hiding something. I didn't enjoy her visit because of that. She's hiding something and it's not good news. She was holding Evellynn, Evellynn was crying. Maybe she senses something off too. Probably not.

"Here, I'll take her." I reached down to pick up Evellynn and she stopped crying the second I picked her up.

"Why doesn't she cry for you?" Sylvia frowned.

"Probably because she knows me better..." I didn't mean to sound rude, but I guess it came across that way because she gave me a dirty look.

....

Sylvia stayed for a few hours then she left. She seemed very upset when she left. I wonder why. She said goodbye to us like it was the last time we were going to see her...then started cryin'.

"Darry, I'm going to bathe Evellynn. Can you help me?" I asked. Evellynn spit up on herself a few times when Sylvia was breast feeding her so she needed a bath. Since it was my first time doing it, I asked for help.

"Yeah, I'll be right there."

...

Darry took Evellynn for a moment to show me how to do it right. Evellynn looked at him like " uhh what are you doin'?" He undressed her, she was wearing an adorable greaser type outfit. Baby jeans, baby leather jacket and a small pink tutu. Soda picked it out. I wonder what he will put for her outfit tomorrow. Soda likes to dress her, whenever I try to dress her, I do something wrong or dress her horribly. Soda has more of a fashion sense than I do.

"So just hold her above the water. You gotta make sure you hold her head up right. You keep her above the water at all times. Just to make sure everything goes well, I'll help you the first time. "He held her above the water. I don't think Evellynn liked it. She started to cry.

"Awh babygirl, it's ok." Darry shushed her. "Ponyboy can you squirt a little tiny bit of baby shampoo on her hair. The smallest drop."

"Yeah no problem." I did as he asked and he rubbed her head gently with the dab of shampoo. She still cried, a softer cry though; like she wasn't sure if she liked it or not. Soda came in and smiled.

"Babies first bath." Soda pointed out, rubbing her little cheek with his right thumb. "She is such a cute baby."

"Yeah. Hey Soda can you go find Steve and Twobit and tell them tomorrow I have work, all day and maybe even overnight; so I need them to help Ponyboy baby sit?"

"Sure thing, I have work too so."

"Thanx."

I was a bit scared then. Without Darry and Sodapop? She's so tiny and what if we all mess up? With Darry I felt better if he was there because he would fix something if I didn't know what to do.

...

After the bath Soda put Evellynn down for a nap. I needed some air, so I went on a walk by myself. Darry didn't see me leave, I hope he doesn't get too worried. He seems more worried lately, I don't understand why. He's been eyeing me, making sure everything is ok, which I wouldn't quite mind if it was Sodapop because that's who he is. He's caring and wants to make sure things are alright but Darry being like that... He wasn't like that before; I ain't used to it. It must have been because of that touchy feely moment I had with him that night when I had that nightmare about Johnny... I don't like how I can't get over Johnny or Dally, I know they both were my buddies but why am I having trouble getting over them and no one else is? I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't know about a lot of things anymore, I question almost everything now. And I lie to myself that I do know some things...I just don't believe me... If that makes sense.