Chapter Eight

Ponyboy's POV

Today I'm going to school for the first day of grade 11. The last two years of me and the guys taking care of Evellynn has gone so fast I don't even remember that much of grade 10... Other than I was so distracted that I almost failed three of my classes. I never told Darry though; I will never. If he found out, he would be so disappointed and angry at me... Or maybe the old Darry would, the "new" kind of Darry seems more understanding.

Anyways. So Twobit will be staying with her and if he needs any help, he calls me (even though I'll be in school. I'll find a way to excuse myself). I rather stay and help take care of Evellynn than go to school; but Darry wouldn't be happy about that. He really cares that I get myself a scholarship to get through college. It's not that I don't want that, it's only that I don't know what I want. I don't know what I want to be. No greaser really has a dream; except for Johnny. He did. But it doesn't matter anymore, he's gone. He's gone and he'll never get to get his dream come true. I feel bad for that.

"Ponyboy, why are you just lying there? Come on, get ready for school!" Darry scowls me.

"Fine Darry, I'll get up." I roll out of bed then Darry leaves. Sodapop wasn't on his side of the bed. I wonder where he is, he doesn't have work today.

"Where's Soda?" I ask Darry has I make some eggs for myself.

"He's... He's on a date." He replied. It didn't really chock me that Soda had a date; he has a movie star kind of look; he's very handsome. He had Sandy has a girlfriend for a long time but... long story short she didn't love him the same as he loved her. It was a shame. He really loved her and he was going to propose.

"Oh good for him, he deserves it."

"Yeah."

"So how are you and Wendy?" Wendy is Darry's girlfriend; they'll been together for about three years.

"We're good."

"Thinking of proposing?"

"Yeah but I don't have enough money for a ring or wedding or a bigger house. Also, I don't want to leave you guys yet..."

"Oh, well, if money's the pain problem, me and Soda could pitch in."

"No, it's ok Ponyboy. We'll talk about this later if you want. You better start walking now to school or you're gonna be late." He states then leaves the room. I quickly grab an apple for my lunch (I don't really eat lunch; I don't get real hungry) then leave to walk to my school.

...

"Hey Ponyboy!" Rick ran over to me yelling. Rick is a dude from my math class from last year. He and I ain't the best of friends but he likes bugging me sometimes, I'm glad I got a break from him.

"Hi Rick..."

"How are ya Pony?" He pulled me into a slight hug for some reason.

"I'm ok... what this all about?" I thought maybe he wanted something because he never talks to me unless he wants something or has no one else to buddy around with.

"Well I've been seeing you more depressed and less focused lately and.."

I cut him off.

"Not to be mean or anything but it ain't any of you're business Rick so just-"

"Whoaa Pony! Cool off, let me finish what I was sayin'."

"Fine go."

"I noticed you've been acting different and I wanted to take you out for some fun tonight, to lighten you up."

"Where would we be going?" I asked even though I wasn't very interested in his invitation.

"Me and some other of the greases are going to a joint tonight; might get boozed, have some fun."

'Not interested." I started to walk away. I don't think of getting boozed up as something fun and I'm sure not doing it with guys I don't even know.

"Why not?" He ran in front of me to block my way.

"Because I don't want to." I same blankly.

"Ahh, Ponyboy; you've been getting soft have you?" He gave me a grin that I thought I would only see from Dally if he was still alive. My eyes widened, I guess I have become soft ever since Evellynn was born and after all I've been through with Johnny and Dally. "But is that such a bad thing?" I thought to myself.

"Come on Ponyboy, tonight, let yourself get boozed up, let yourself go."

"I'll think about it." I said even though 99% of me didn't want to.

'Hope I see you there." The wind picked up, blowing Rick's long white blonde hair everywhere even if he tried to tame it. His hair was much longer than mine even though I have been growing it out since Johnny had cut it. My hair was greased too much for the wind to concur it but Rick wasn't as lucky.

"Bye." He ran inside before he could try to fully convince me. I looked up at the sky, it looked like a storm was coming.

The school bell rang, I ran in before it started to pour.

....

Twobit's POV

It started to rain out and Evellynn wanted to go outside and play in the rain. I didn't want her out because I didn't know if it would be a lightning storm or not.

"Pleeeeaseee." She whines.

"No Evellynn."

"Pleease!" She kept pleading. I hated saying no to her and she knew that. She knew we all break easily when she pouts or pleads except for Darry. I didn't want to give in, I wanted to show that I'm strong and can say no to a two year old.

"N-" I tried but she started to pout. "Fine." I gave in. I've became soft to her.

"Yayy!"

"But you have to wear your coat and boots!" I helped her put them on before she ran right out the door. She loves being free outside; just like her father. I managed to get her coat and right boot on but she ran out the door before I could get the left one on. Something must have caught her eye because it looked like she was chasing something.

I cursed and ran after her.

"Evellynn!" I yelled for her before I lost sight of her in the pouring rain.