Chapter Six

Chapter 6 :

*two years later*

Ponyboy's POV

It's been two years since Evellynn was born. She has sure grown up and she's so smart; she said her first word when she turned one. Her first word was cake. It was so funny, we made her chocolate cake for her birthday and when we put it in front of her she dug her tiny little hands into the cake and started pigging out before we even got to cut it. We started laughing and she smiled up at us with a mouthful of the cake and said "cake". Best day ever.

Since Evellynn has grown up you can sure see how she looks more and more like Dally. Wow, I wish Dally could see how she has blossomed. Her eyes are still like her mom's but her stare is the same as before and she defiantly has her father's smile. She's absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad we kept her.

We still haven't heard from Sylvia and no one else knows where she is. It's not like we need her back, but I would like to know where she is and why the hell she left. Evellynn seems to not remember her; it's either that or she just doesn't want to bring her up. We haven't talked to her about it because we didn't think it was important. She has us, she doesn't need anyone else. I started getting lost in my thought but was quickly pulled back into reality when I felt Evellynn leave the grip of my hands when I was bathing her.

She started to run.

"Hey come back here you little monkey!" Soda yelled trying to grab her back in the tub but her arm slipped out of his grip. We all started chasing the naked little ankle bitter around the house. Evellynn is a pretty fast runner for a two year old. Plus how she can crawl under things and hide. One time she escaped from the bath before and hit under the couch. She didn't come out until we promised bath time was over. She really hates the bath, not even bubbles help.

"You silly goose." Sodapop got a hold of her.

"No baf!" She demanded folding her arms.

"Yes bath."

"No no no." She puckered out her lip and pouted. "No baf." She whined and looked up at him with those beautiful, glossy, sparkling blue eyes. Every time she does this to either Soda, me or Steve, we give in and give her whatever she was asking for. We are real softies with her; but we are trying our bests to put our foot down.

"Yes bath." Soda went to pick her up but she ran off again; so we ran after. You would probably think that we would out beat a two year old. Well she is really fast. She ran and ran, she almost ran right out the door naked but I caught her, raping a towel around her; and picked her up. She squirmed in my arms trying to break free.

"I promise princess after we wash the shampoo out, bath will be over." I held onto her so she wouldn't escape again.

"Otay." She stopped fighting and we all went back into the bathroom to finish up.

....

After her bath, we had snack.

"What fer snack?" she asked.

"Apples and cheese." Steve answered giving her a plate of apples and cheese. Normally snack was something cheap; apples, grapes, pares, bread with peanut butter, banana with peanut butter, (she LOVES peanut butter) just mainly fruits and veggies and surprisingly she likes them.

"Yummy." She shoved the food in her mouth and smiled.

"Mmmm."

She looked at her plate of food, grabbed a handful then shoved the handful of food in Steve's mouth.

"Good sharing Evey." Twobit laughed.

"Yes Evellynn but no more for me." Steve chuckled with his mouth full.

....

"Pway time!" Evellynn declared after finishing her food.

"Play what?"

"Pway....Pway pwincesses!" We all looked at each other and looked scared to death.

"Uh..." Twobit hesitated.

"Yeah, pway princesses! I dwess yew boys up all pwetty!" She beamed.

"How about we dress you up all pretty like a princess Evey?" Twobit tried to reason with her. Not just to make her happy but to get us out of a beauty- maker done by a two year old. And you're probably thinking "where does she get the makeup from? She lives with a bunch of boys!" well let's just say, for Christmas we bought her what she wanted and what she wanted was a kid makeup set......

"We'll play that later Evey." Twobit said that just because he didn't want to lose any of his dignity by letting a two year old give him a makeover. I'm pretty sure all of us don't want that either.

"How about we go to the park Evellynn?"

"Yeah!" She leaped and ran to get her coat. We all grabbed our leather jackets and I helped Evellynn tie her shoes.

"Tank you." She gleamed and gave me a kiss on my nose. I smiled and we made out walk to the park. Darry, Soda and I stood on the left side of her and Steve, Twobit stood on the right side of her to keep her safe in the middle. Man, I bet we all looked so tuff; even though Evellynn had a huge puffy pink dress on, but she was rockin' the shades I gave her for her 2nd birthday. We actually bought her a lot of greaser clothes but she prefers wearing dresses. She doesn't hate the other clothes though, she will wear them sometimes. Haha it was so cute, when she was about 1 and a half we would say "Evellynn, let's get greasy!" And she would grab her little leather jacket and put on my sunglasses and pucker her lips out. I don't know where she got that from, like we didn't teach her that. Anyways, Evellynn ran to the baby swings and Steve started to push her on it. I lit a cigarette and relaxed.

(Sorry sort chapter!! Next one will be longer!)