Chapter Five

Ponyboy's POV

I woke up with the bed to myself. Soda must have left already for work. I heard Evellynn crying from the nursery. Does anyone hear her? I didn't want to get up, my head was pounding and all I wanted to do was sleep. But... Evellynn needs me. I went into her room and Steve was holding her, trying to calm her down.

"What's wrong with Evellynn?"

"Yeah what's wrong with Evellynn?" Twobit walked in, she must have woke him too.

"I really don't know, she won't stop crying."

"Maybe she's hungry." I suggested.

"I already tried that." He sighed, rocking Evellynn.

"What do we do?" Steve seemed so clueless. We all were.

"I don't know." Does she need to be changed?"

"Smell her to find out." I lifted Evellynn gently.

"Ew gross."

"Yeah I'm not sniffin' baby butt." Twobit fake gagged.

"Well, if it isn't stinking up this whole room then I'm guessing she doesn't need to be changed." I stated.

"Good call."

"So what's wrong Ms. Evie?" Twobit kisses her small forehead. Evellynn was still just fussy.

"Let's try to feed her again." I take her away from Steve and go to the kitchen where the baby formula is. I made it just like Darry showed me.

"Princess Evellynn, please eat something baby." I tried feeding her but she just spit it back up. I sighed.

"Darry told me when she needs to be fed, and now is that time."

"Well she isn't hungry." Steve shrugged.

"I don't know what to do, she won't stop crying and we don't know why she is crying."

"Sometimes babies cry for no reason."

"I guess."

....

I tried calling Sylvia's house but I got no answer. I wanted to see if she wanted to come over and help us with the baby but she wouldn't answer. Evellynn was still crying and we thought maybe she wants her mom's milk, not the formula. We were going to try it BUT SHE WON'T ANSWER.

"Maybe we should bring Evellynn on a walk." Twobit suggested.

"Yeah, we can walk over to Sylvia." Steve pointed out.

"Yeah, I need to dress Evellynn first." We looked through her clothes and picked out a cute outfit. Tim Sheppard gave us some clothes for the baby. So she's wearing one of the shirts he brought over. It says "Don't mess with me" and it's very adorable. We put her in the stroller that Darry had bought.

Evellynn is a very small baby. Well smaller than most new borns . So when we put her in the stroller, she wasn't too comfortable and made her cry more. Steve ended up carrying her. I guess we will use the stroller when she grows more. The walk wasn't long, we were already on her street.

"Which one is hers?" Steve asked. I looked around for the blue door. Her door was blue and that's how I remember it, it's the only door that isn't an ugly brownish orange color. The only house that I saw that had the blue door had a SOLD sign stabbed in the green grass; but that can't be hers...It can't be...

"The one with the blue door..." I pointed at it.
"What the hell..." Steve said out loud. He was thinking exactly what I was thinking; I think Twobit caught along too.

"She's moving?"

"I think she already moved..." Steve stated. He just stared blankly, no emotion, we didn't know what to think or say really. Evellynn was still quietly sobbing to herself for her own reasons no one else could figure out and we all just... stared at each other.

"W-w-what do we do?" I broke the silence.

"Let's go find Darry." Twobit suggested. I really wanted a weed at that time... Did she really move away and leave us with the baby when we legally don't have custody over her. We were going to do all the paper work and all that stuff with her. Well I wouldn't because I don't understand half the stuff, so Darry WAS going to do that.

We went to where he works; we told him everything.

"How could she do that?!" He was as angry and confused as I was.

"I don't know..." I looked down. That was why she was acting so different when she was over at our house. "We don't legally have full custody over her. How are we supposed to get all that court paper work done without her?"

Darry looked me dead in the eyes and said "I didn't have real full custody over you and Soda until almost a year ago. I think we can take care of her baby and not get caught."

I wasn't suspecting that from him. He isn't that type of person normally that will take risks like this...

"We could get in trouble by the police though." Soda pointed out. "If anyone finds out that we aren't legally her care givers..."

"Then don't let people know. Yeah you can tell greasers and such because no one is going to tell, but no socs or friends that have a family member that is a cop can know."

"Are we really going to do this?"

"Yes, we don't have any other choices; she's gone, probably took a plane somewhere to get away."

"Why-how...Why would she do that to us. We had a deal. If we take care of her baby she will come over to help if we need it."

"I know but-"

"But nothing! Why would she do that? She was my friend and she did that to me...Us..."

"It's gonna be ok." Steve tried calming me down, he handed me Evellynn; she makes me calm down.

"We are going to be able to do this. I'm getting off early today, I'll be back in an hour."

"Hey, Evellynn stopped crying, she fell asleep" Twobit smiled.

"She sure did."

� +�P��D�