Prologue

Seventh grade/ past
-

It's basketball season and Laurens first practice as Miami Middle's starting forward is wrapping up. "Alright girls great defense. Run five laps and that's how we'll end practice. Remember we have late practice tomorrow because of the cheer competition." A string of 'Yes Coach' is heard throughout the gym as the girls start their laps.

"Hey Laurenzo wanna race" Dinah asks while jogging past Lauren.

"You're on D." Lauren is easily winning, but suddenly she stops in her tracks.

"So guys this is Camila she's new to our school and a new member of our squad." Camila sheepishly waved after the cheer captains introduction. After greetings and talking about the upcoming competition, the girls were ready to hit the gym for practice.

"The basketball team is probably wrapping up so stick to one side for warm-ups." Anna, the cheer captain, said. They made their way to the gym and when Camila entered she was hit with the familiar sent of sweat and hard work. She jogged along with the rest of the squad to the opposite side of the gym to start the warm-ups.

"Hey Laurenzo what gives?" Dinah asks while throwing lauren a water bottle.

"What"

"I'll tell you what. You just stopped and let me win and you never let me win when we race." The blonde says with furrowed brows. Lauren just shrugs and continues to stare at a certain unfamiliar brunette. Dinah soon catches on and follows Laurens line of sight. She can read Lauren like a book and knows exactly what's happening. "LAURENZOS GOT A CRUSH! LAURENZOS GOT A CRUSH!" Dinah belts out while running out of the gym with a mad and embarassed Lauren right on her trail.

~

It's the last quarter of the game and Laurens at the top of her game scoring 31 out of the 54 points for the lead over their rivals. When timeouts called Lauren shifts her head to watch the cheerleaders do their cheer, something she's been doing a lot of lately. Watching the tiny brunettes flawless movements, Lauren zones out of the conversation her teams having with the coach. "Got it number six?" Snapping back into reality

"What?"

"Get your head in the game Jauregui. I said we're playing man on man and you're guarding number forty two got it?"

"Yes coach" Lauren responds as the buzzer sounds. Getting back on the court Lauren finds the girl she was assigned to guard and the the game starts back up.

"And Miami Middle is the new South Florida Middle School Region champs!" Everyone crowds on the court to congratulate Lauren for the game winning shot as she's getting photo ops with her teammates. Lauren feels a tap on her shoulder. She turns around only to be met with a massive hug, something she's seen plenty of tonight but this one feels 'warmer'?

After she's released and can finally see who the culprit is, her heart stops. "You were amazing Lauren" Camila says cheerfully.

"I... uh.... thanks?" Laurens tongue gets twisted and Camila chuckles at the taller girls distress.

"You're welcome. Um I have to get going but it was nice to finally meet you. I'm Camila by the way." 'Wow even her names perfect' Lauren thought.

"Um I'm Lauren but you already knew that and yeah it was nice to meet you too" Lauren rambles still shocked Camila is actually talking to her. Camila mumbles a goodbye while giggling at Laurens rambling. 'God her laugh is the best thing I've ever heard. I could die happy now'. Lauren is broken out of her thoughts by and overly excited Dinah.

"Come on Laur we're going to eat." Dinah notices to dreamy look on Laurens face and sees Camila walking to her fellow cheerleaders.

"Did Camila talk to you"

"uh huh"

"And did she leave you speechless"

"uh huh.... she said it was nice to meet me" Lauren says with the biggest smile on her face.

"I'm sure she did Laur, now let's get going before you start drooling." Dinah says wrapping her arm around her dazed friends shoulder
and noticing Camila glaring at her. 'Man could they be any more oblivious' Dinah thinks while chuckling to herself.

-

A/N

Wuzzup fam thanks for reading. I'm new to this so I hope you like it. I have big plans for this book, so if you want me continue let me know. Yall can comment and like and whatever you wanna do.

I know it's short but it's just a little briefer to get the background. The rest will be longer.

Later ☆ - Mack