Chapter Seven

After Dalla left, Fenrir and I sat in silence for a few minutes. I didn't see another package, so I was curious as to what this other present was. Fenrir was playing with his fingers like he does whenever he is nervous. I place one of my hands on top of his and give them a reassuring squeeze. He sighs and looks up at me.

"Dalla told me that she has this feeling about something," he starts. He takes a deep breath before continuing. "She thinks that you might be leaving the tribe soon and--" he falters.

"What is it Fen?"

"Dalla thinks that you may forget who you are," he pauses. "And forget about us," he finishes quietly.

"Fen, I could never forget you! Or Dalla! And why would I leave the tribe? I would never leave you and Dalla!" I say, my voice filled with emotion as tears sting my eyes. Seeing that I'm upset, Fenrir pulls me onto his lap and hugs me.

"I know you would never leave us if you had a choice. But from what Dalla was telling me, she doesn't think you will have a choice," he whispers caringly as I start to cry. He rocks me back and forth and hugs me tighter until I start to calm down.

"Sparks, because of what Dalla told me, I want to give you something so that you will always have a piece of Dalla and I, no matter where you go."

"What is it?" I sniffle.

"It's not really something you can hold but it's something that will be with you forever. You can always say no but, I want to give you a marking to remember me and Dalla by. I would give it to you the same way I got mine," he says as he turns his neck to reveal a black marking that looks like ice on his neck. "I've figured out how to do it so it won't be as painful as mine was and it won't be black either. Dalla helped me create the design so if you want to I will give you it."

"Fenrir," I say shocked. I am so awestruck by what he is telling me.

"If you don't want it, that's fine. I just figured that in case Dalla is right, you will always have us with you, even if you don't know who we are," he mumbles, afraid that I won't accept his gift.

"I would love for you to give me the marking Fen."

His head shoots up and he grins at me. "Really?" he asks. I nod as I return his smile. "Where do you want me to put it?" he asks excitedly. I giggle at his enthusiasm.

"I want it over my heart," I state seriously. He shifts me on his lap and nods. I pull down the top of my tunic to expose the skin over my heart. He smiles apologetically before placing his freezing cold hand over my heart. I wince at the sudden coldness but nod for him to continue. Fenrir's brows crease in concentration as his hand seems to get colder and colder until it almost becomes painful. Just as I hiss in pain, he pulls away his hand and underneath is a beautiful design.

The tattoo Fenrir has given me is a sun marking with a crescent moon inside of it. I look up at Fenrir in amazement.

"It's beautiful," I whisper.

"Now you will always have Dalla and I with you," he responds as I yawn softly. He chuckles and stands up, bringing me with him. He sets me down and puts my other presents in the basket and hands it to me after taking the wine out.

"Go home and go to sleep. I know you have someone waiting for you to get home," he says as he winks.

"How did you," I trail off. He laughs and rolls his eyes before kissing my head and pushing me in the direction of my house. I laugh and say goodbye. Tonight sure was a great night, and an even better birthday.