Chapter Twenty Two

Before I go into the story, I just want to say I'm sorry for not updating sooner. I'm currently on break so I'm going to update quite a bit. School and work has kept me very busy so I apologize when I said I was going to start scheduled updates and then fail to deliver. I am going to try to get into the swing of updating regularly once the new semester starts in early February. Lots of updates coming tonight to make up for my lack of them. Enjoy! Leave me any comments on things you enjoyed or questions you have!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I start to back away from the girl standing in front of me. She looked like Dalla but I knew she wasn't. Her eyes kept switching from amber to blue, as if she were two people fighting for control over who to be. She grabs my wrist just as I am about to fall of the pedestal.

"There is no need to be afraid, I am not whoever I am appearing to be to you," she says softly. Looking at her once again, I see that her eyes have settled on the vibrant blue although she does still look like Dalla.

"Why... How did you do that?" I ask breathlessly.

"How? Not totally sure why it did it with you. Why, because I have the gene for shifting. Normally, I can control who I shift to look like but with you... I couldn't control it and I appeared to be the person that you trust most in the world. I didn't mean to do it and startle you."

"But you only changed once I looked you in the eyes."

"Well they say that the eyes are the window to the soul, and with shifting that's actually true. I have the ability to become the person that you feel the most comfortable with just by looking into your eyes. Most times, I can gleam a little information about who they are as a person from your perspective and who they are to you. From you, I have no idea who I transformed into. I don't even know what they look like."

"You shifted into my best friend..." I said quietly.

"I bet she's nice. I'm sorry for freaking you out. I'm Conny by the way."

"Ember. Or Phoenix now I guess. A lot of people just call me Fire."

"Well, then nice to meet you Fire. We better get going though. We've used a good bit of time explaining so we better get going. I'll be right back, I'm going to go round up my 'minions' to we can get started on your clothes." She's gone for less than a minute before coming back with several other slaves.

"Alright guys. Lucy and Veil, get Fire's measurements after you cut off that tunic and leggings. Danny, go get the fabrics that Kate was just carting off," pausing to take a breath, she looks as if to see what she if forgetting. "Oh and Danny will you have the boys bring in the large tub and ask Evie for the soaps and oils."

The others go about doing their assigned tasks as Conny once again walks away. Two girls, who I assume are Lucy and Veil, come towards me with a knife and scissors. My training kicking in, I get in a defensive stance and my fire unconsciously springs from my hands. The girls jump back with a small shriek and Conny comes running over with a beautiful wooden box. Seeing my stance accompanied by the fire from my hands, she shakes her head and puts the box down a few feet away.

"Ember, calm down," Conny says slowly walking towards me while her features change into Fenrir.

"Change back!" I snarl. She slowly shifts back into what I believe is normal, her features similar to Dalla's. "Never, change into them. You may think that you are helping but it really doesn't help."