Chapter Thirty Six

I gave up on finding Nik to see if he would make me breakfast. I grabbed a peach that was sitting out and left the kitchen. I was feeling antsy so I headed towards the training rooms. Emil was having them build one attached to my- I mean our- quarters but the progress has been slow. Emil hates it when I train there without "approved supervision" but right now I could care less. I want to relieve some stress and that is what I'm going to do.

I reached the training rooms in less than ten minutes and finished my breakfast on the way. I must have either not been paying attention or knew that eventually I would be training because this morning I picked out a warriors tunic. It is open in the front of the legs so as to not get my legs tangled in the cloth and the top has three sets of buttons to keep it in place. It's not dissimilar to a riding tunic and is much easier to fight in than a dress or a regular tunic.

A mage has designed this part of the training area to link up with your thoughts and have the dummies attack you in certain strategies that fit with the type of training you want to do. It is great for people, like me, who don't wish to burn others or hurt them with their powers but still train with them. But today I just want to fight with my hands and feet. It's a better way to get out all the aggravation than using my powers, because sometimes that feels like cheating.

I don't know how long I was fighting the dummies but I was covered in sweat. I felt calmer now in the aspect that I released a lot of the stress that had been building over the past weeks. Now I'm on an adrenaline high from pushing myself so hard. At some point during my workout I took of my tunic, leaving me in leggings and chest wrap. The dummies stopped their attack and I took a break, bending over and putting my hands on my knees while I try to catch my breath.

"You're an excellent fighter, stelpa (girl)," a male voice says behind me. "I don't think I've seen you around here before, but you would be an excellent warrior. You should talk to General Sebas-" he never finishes because I turn around and his jaw drops. He automatically goes down on one knee, head bowed with his right fist over his heart.

"My apologies Dama (Lady) Ember. I did not realize. I meant no offense, please forgive me," he says without looking up.

"Don't do that, please stand up. I don't like all the bowing and formalities. I'm human just like—oh, never mind. But how did you know my actual name? Not many people here actually know it. They either call me Fire or Phoenix."

"I am human milady," he says as he stands. "Or partially anyways. I used to be a part of the Demet clan. I was a warrior for the elders until I was exiled because of untrue rumors. Then the General found me wandering the wilderness, living like a beast with a broken spirit. He appeared to me as I expect he appears to you, as a human with eerie gold eyes. He brought me here and after accepting his offer to serve under him, his sister casted a spell that started my transformation into a dragon hybrid. I do not have as much control in my dragon form as I do human, but it is still something I must practice. As for knowing your true name milady, I was one of the warriors that watched over you as a child before I was exiled almost 7 years ago. You have grown so much, and your hair is shorter and darker from the last time I saw you. I'm sorry lady, I did not mean to frighten you with knowledge about you from years ago," he says apologetically, looking down at the floor in shame. I can feel a look of shock on my face.

"Garrett?" I say softly, my voice barely a whisper. His head shoots up and he smiles faintly. "Garrett!" I say as I jump and give him a big hug which he returns. I bury my face in neck of my childhood protector.

"I didn't think you would remember me," he whispered as he hugs me tight.

"They never told me what happened to you. All I knew was that all of a sudden I was given two new warriors to watch over me and I never saw you again. They said something about you going on a mission which you died during or left to another clan and got married. No one ever gave me a straight answer," I said. Garrett gently puts me down and releases me from the hug.

"Some of the other warriors had spread rumors saying that I was neglecting my duties and getting too close to you. They said that I became your friend instead of your warrior and wasn't doing my duty. Needless to say they spun horrible rumors and got me exiled from the clans. All I ever wanted was what was best for you and to be your friend. Yes that wasn't my job description but it was the best way to protect you. But a brooding warrior hanging around a carefree child isn't exactly a good combination."

"You left right before my eleventh birthday. I chose to become a warrior, because of you. You were the youngest warrior ever given the title at age 16. I wanted to be just like you. Mama and Papa weren't exactly pleased, they wished for me to become a priestess which is what they later forced on me. At age 14 they pulled me out of warrior classes and Mama started to teach me how to be a priestess. There haven't been any priestesses for several generations but because of the stupid legend they forced me to become one. But I never stopped training. My friend Fenrir helped me continue to train especially once—never mind that."

"Fenrir? You mean Styrr? I thought he... it's not important. But I see that you have become an excellent warrior. Your skills are impressive," he says, his face beaming with pride. I never get a chance to say thank you because Emil walks in, and he was not happy.

"Fire what have I told you about coming in here without either me or an approved chaperone. Just like out in your world, not everyone here is trustworthy," he said glaring at Garrett.

"I'm sorry Your Majesty," I sneer sarcastically with a bow. "I didn't realize that you needed to be aware of my every move. Maybe you should give me a guard dog to keep away all the bad men. Oh wait, that would keep away you."

"Ember this isn't funny," he says in a stern voice.

"Oh no I think it is. Perhaps you would like to try to brand me again. Hm? Would you like that Sire? And then leave me crumpled in pain as you go feast with the wealthy?"

"Ember I know you always were a trouble maker, but this is going a little far. He has the ability to kill you where you stand and make your life a living hell. Please, just cooperate," Garrett pleads in a low voice, his hand on my shoulder.

"Get your mitts off of her," Emil says angrily.

"Why? You upset that someone else is touching your property?" I ask.

"You are my bride, not my property Ember. And I do not like others touching you," he says trying to be level headed. "Please just get your tunic and come with me. There is something that you are need for."

I go to argue but Garrett gives me a look and I back down. Turning on my heel, I go find my tunic. On my way out, I turn to Garrett and give him the traditional bow to those respected in the tribe. With my fist over my heart I say, "Fred vaere med deg (Peace be with you)."

"Og meg deg (And with you)," he replies while bowing back to me. Then I follow Emil out to wherever he is taking me.

"You know how much I hate it when you talk to people in different languages," he says once we are out of earshot.

"It is respectful to acknowledge the customs of others. Growing up I was taught to be respectful to others, even those below my rank. He is a good man and he deserves my respect as well as yours."

"Why must you always try to outdo me?" he asked exasperated.

"I was raised this way. It has nothing to do with you. I am not going to change who I am just because all of a sudden I am going to be the Queen of the Dragons," I reply. He sighs but doesn't respond. Eventually we stop in front of a set of large double doors. I have a feeling they lead to the negotiation chamber.

"What are we doing here?" I ask confused.

"You family is trying to negotiate for your release."