Two

"Michael, are you listening to me?" Jane's voice came through the speaker on his phone, causing Michael to sigh and cover his face with his hands.

"Jane, I'm working." He said calmly, skimming through his emails as he heard shuffling coming from the other end of the line. "I told you not to call the office unless it's an emergency."

"Well if you answered your cell then I wouldn't have to call the office." She snapped, Michael holding back from screaming. He was too used to his fights with Jane, but he knew going into an argument at work would be too unprofessional. "Anyways, did you hear what I said? I need you to buy some bedsheets for the guest room at Pottery Barn before coming home tonight."

"I don't leave before five, Pottery Barn will be closed by then. Why can't you come buy them? You're at home anyways."

"I am not driving all the way from Ocean Reef to get bedsheets, Michael. You're just around the corner from it but obviously you can't do anything for anyone other than yourself." Michael could sense the annoyance begin to surface in Jane's voice, which meant that if Michael didn't put a stop to it now, Jane would go into a complete fit.

"Alright, alright." He grunted, rubbing his face with his hands as his eyes flickered to the window in his office, showing the view of the Swan River. "'I'll figure something out, but I have to go now. I'll see you at home."

It was no secret to Michael that his marriage was crumbling down. Jane hated him and he hated Jane, but neither of them did anything to get a divorce. Jane thought it'd look bad to her stuck up friends and Michael just didn't have the patience to deal with it. Luckily for him, he was barely home and Jane barely cared. She'd spend her day at the gym or getting her nails done or whatever. They were too busy living their own lives to think about being a couple, which worked for both of them. By that point, Michael was sleeping in the guest bed more than he was sleeping in his.

He sighed heavily, glancing at the clock to see it was almost quarter to twelve, meaning Luke would be out for his lunch break soon. Michael didn't want to use Luke for his own personal duties, but he couldn't think of anything else. Of course being a junior partner meant Michael had the liberty to just walk out of the building and get the damn bedsheets, but he was too busy with his cases to actually stop what he was doing and worry about that.

"Luke?" Michael called from his office, hearing the squeaking of the blond's chair outside before he came into the room with a small smile.

"Yes sir?" He said sweetly. Michael never understood how gentle Luke kept himself throughout the day. To Michael, it was almost as if the blond never had a bad day. He always had this soothing glint in his eyes and a reassuring smile. Michael envied that, but at the same time, he felt lucky he got to see that everyday and remind himself that it'd be okay.

"I'm sorry for just dumping this on you." He sighed. "But I am drowning in cases and my wife needs bedsheets. Do you suppose you could stop at Pottery Barn during your lunch break and just pick out some random ones, please?"

Luke blinked a few times, his head not getting past the word wife, but he soon covered up his disappointment with a nod and a bigger smile. "Of course, Mr Clifford. No worries."

"Thank you so much." Michael exhaled deeply, pulling his wallet from his pocket before fishing out one of his credit cards. "You are an angel; here, just get white queen size sheets or whatever."

Luke nodded, taking the credit card from his boss before laughing dryly. "I'm not an angel, just doing my job."

Michael watched as Luke exited his office, almost wishing he could call the blond back and assure him that Luke most definitely was an angel. From his smile, to his eyes, to his voice, to every single detail on the man, everything screamed angelic. Luke was most certainly attractive, probably the most attractive person in the building, and that did not go unnoticed by Michael. If this were an alternative universe, in which Michael wasn't married and Luke wasn't his employee, Michael would've made a move on him months ago.

Michael could see Luke at his desk from the open door of his office. The blond was doing the same thing he always was: typing away on his computer as he moved his leg to the beat of a song he sung under his breath. Michael liked watching Luke as he did that, it somehow made Michael think of happy things and the stress from his cases or his marriage seemed to disappear for a few minutes. He liked the feeling that came with anything related to Luke. It was like wherever the blond went, there was light.

"It's lunch time!" The familiar female voice said as she neared Luke's desk, smiling widely at him. "You ready to go? I am craving some Mexican."

Luke looked up at the blonde standing before him. Naomi was probably one of the most beautiful women Luke had ever seen. Her wavy strawberry blond hair cascaded down her shoulders, reaching her mid stomach, her bangs neatly brushed and perfectly in place. She wasn't a skinny woman, but Luke adored the curves on Naomi's body and how the dresses and pencil skirts she wore complimented her wide hips and thick thighs. Luke loved her confidence and he loved how she managed to make everything look good, simply because she felt good.

He nodded, standing up and making sure he had Michael's credit card in his pocket before walking with Naomi to the elevators. The blonde was talking non stop about her wedding plans and how she just couldn't wait to be married next autumn. They were hardly done with winter, meaning there were still a little under a year to go, but she was beyond excited. Naomi was the only person in the office that knew about Luke's, well, secret. It wasn't really a secret, but it was something kept away from the people at work. No one other than Naomi knew Luke loved wearing dresses and skirts, painting his nails and doing his make up.

"So, I was thinking maybe we could start looking for my dress next week?" Naomi asked as both of them got into the elevator.

"You want me to come with you?" Luke asked in surprise as he leaned his back against the wall. He was good friends with Naomi, but he didn't think she held him so close to her heart to care about his opinion on her dress.

"Well, duh!" She chuckled. "I've seen your outfits, Luke, and if there is one person who can choose the best wedding dress, that'd have to be you." Luke smiled widely at her, loving how accepting she was of him. "Plus, there's only my mother coming down from Brisbane to help me out. You'll be coming to help with the bridesmaid dresses too, aren't you?"

"Of course!" Luke exclaimed, stepping out of the elevator with Naomi by his side. "Anything for you."

"Good." She nodded. "Because you're now my maid of honour."

~~~

i really like this story