Twenty Two

Luke had Michael's hand on his lap, his fingertips lightly tracing different shapes onto the older man's palm. The black haired man had his other hand loosely draped over the steering wheel, only holding onto it when taking a turn or when a car approached. His eyes were glued to the road ahead, but he was carefully paying attention to Luke's touch, holding back a smile. The sound of The Rolling Stones filled the car and the sun shone down on them just enough for Michael to sit comfortably with his sunglasses on. Both men were silent. Both men were content.

"You have calloused hands." The blond remarked in a small voice. Michael smiled, glad to finally hear Luke's voice since they got into the car. He laced their fingers without looking, bringing Luke's hand to his lips before kissing it slowly.

"Years of playing guitar." Michael nodded shortly, driving through the front gates of the house they'd be spending their weekend in.

"I've never seen you play." Luke's voice was soft, as if he was barely paying attention to what he was saying. He was in awe, eyes focusing solemnly on the modern ranch type house in front of him. From his seat in the car, he could see the living room through the glass double doors, smiling at the sight of a fireplace and black leather couch. He could imagine himself sitting there on a cold winter morning with the fire on, wrapped in a warm blanket with a book and a hot chocolate. He liked it already.

"Are you coming in or just staring at it from the car?" Michael chuckled. He was already standing by Luke's door, duffle bags slung over his shoulders, waiting for the blond. Luke smiled up at him, liking the way Michael looked in his work outfit. He liked how classy and elegant it made his boss look, and although Luke tried his best to ignore the thoughts, he couldn't help but think of how hot Michael looked in his all black attire. The clothes made Michael look smart, unlike Luke, who looked like a potato. He stepped out of the car, instantly reaching out to grab a hold of Michael's hand as the black haired man closed the door to his Volvo S60 before locking it.

By the time they had walked inside, Luke had let go of Michael's hand, striding across the living room until reaching the sliding doors that led to the back of the house. Michael dropped the duffle bags in the corner, pacing slowly to where Luke was standing, arms hanging loosely at his sides and shoulders pushed back. He felt like he was in a trance as his eyes roamed over the valley before him, a whole immensity Luke never even knew existed. Oranges, reds and purples painted the sky as the sun began to set, the western late November wind rustling the leaves on the trees and also Luke's hair. He took no notice of it, but Michael watched as his blond locks danced around with a smile on his face. He took his sunglasses off, placing them on the small table outside, focusing on the view that mattered most to him: Luke.

"Thank you." Luke spoke after a long silence. "For everything."

"Don't thank me." Michael stepped forward, slowly sliding his arms around Luke's waist so that he was hugging the blond from behind, bodies pressed together as Michael's lips deposited a quick kiss on the blond's shoulder before his chin rested on the same spot. "I'm glad you're here." Both men knew Michael meant more than just the farm house.

"I'm glad you're here too." Luke whispered, falling further into Michael's body and finding comfort in his strong arms wrapped around his slim waist. "It's amazing how huge this world is, isn't it? We're all just a speck of something so much greater, but we're all so engrossed in our own problems and planning ahead, planning our lives, that we forget to take a step back and appreciate the immensity of this world and everything that is around us. It takes something really special to make us realise how little we and our problems are and that it'll be okay. It's something people should never let go of." There was a long silence before Luke smiled widely.

"I think I have found my something." Michael nodded slowly, loosening his grip around the lanky blond so he could turn him around. Michael wanted to look at Luke.