Nineteen

Calum woke up to the sound of Luke's voice echoing around the apartment. Even from the guest room, Calum automatically knew his best friend was sitting on his living room floor, sorting through his pile of dirty clothes that had been sitting in the laundry basket for the past week or so, sorting them out into colours and shades; cotton and jeans. Calum knew Luke was folding everything neatly into separate piles, even though everything would end up chucked into the washing machine anyways. The Kiwi closed his eyes, letting a small smile crawl up to his plump lips as he heard Luke sing along to an old Red Hot Chilli Peppers song they used to sing together when they were younger.

It was only when he heard the loud groan coming from his best friend, along with a crack, that he knew Luke was done. Calum always found it funny how Luke was so unaccustomed to exercise that even the smallest movement of pulling himself up from the floor would end up in his knee cracking and the blond being ready to collapse on the floor from the physical struggle it was to actually stand up. Being the exercise junkie that he was, Calum would never understand how Luke could think that was a good way to live his life.

He tossed the sheets aside, letting out a huff as he sat up in bed, feeling the warm sun burn the exposed skin of his back through the open window. Luke had been in the room earlier that morning, like he always was, to open the curtains and hope for Calum to wake up before midday. Looking down at the alarm clock sat next to the bed in Luke's guest room, Calum smirked. It was only quarter to eleven, meaning he had slept well enough to have energy for the rest of the day, but not slept too much to the point Luke would complain about it for the next three hours.

The Kiwi stretched, groaning as he did so before standing up and making sure he was at least wearing boxers before walking out into the corridor. His bare feet padded down the wooden flooring of Luke's apartment, reaching the end of the corridor that opened up to Luke's wide living room and open kitchen. Windows covered the room, providing the living room with a panoramic view of Perth and natural lighting that had the brunette squinting his eyes slightly. Calum was definitely not a morning person. He liked the afternoon, when the sun wasn't as hot and a breeze would pick up, introducing the evening with breathtaking sunsets Calum would use as his motivation to go for a long run at the beach. He did it almost every day, and to him, each sunset was more breathtaking than the other.

"Top of the morning to ya!" Luke exclaimed, picking up the laundry basket from the floor, his clothes neatly organised in colour and fabric.

Calum grumbled in response, taking in Luke's short pyjama shorts and the oversized sweater with its sleeves rolled up. The brunette would never understand how Luke was capable of walking around with his legs barely covered and his torso in a thick sweater. Calum would either dress in warm winter clothes or barely anything for summer. He had absolutely no in-between.

"Did you get laid last night while I was in the guest room?" Calum snorted, walking around the kitchen island and opening the fridge like he owned the place. Luke didn't mind, Calum was practically a roommate that never paid rent.

The blond strode to the back room, shoving his coloured clothes into the washing machine before setting it up and pressing start. He sighed, walking back to the kitchen before jumping onto the island, letting his feet dangle and hit the cupboards with his heels. "If I had, you would've heard me." Luke smiled, not being able to contain his laugh as he saw Calum cringe.

"Dude." He snorted, filling the pancake mix bottle with water before shaking it up. His favourite thing about Luke's place was how it was always filled with the food he couldn't afford for his own place. Sleeping over at Luke's usually meant having the breakfast of a king the next morning. And he fucking loved that. "I honestly do not need details about your sex life with your boss, thanks."