1. I See Dead People

3...2...1...Jump!

Just as the train sped by the drop zone, I leapt from the storage car onto the pavement. Just like I had done millions of times before. I looked up to see the buildings that marked the Dauntless' underground faction.

It wasn't just another faction run, I was training. Although when others would train to become stronger, I trained to get my mind off of things that bothered me. It was like every other day in the Dauntless faction, but the next day held something important to us teenagers. It was the day we were sent for our aptitude test. Then the day after would be the day we chose our future. Stay in our home faction or move to another we felt more connected to. One thing was to remember though; faction before blood.

As soon as I hit the ground, I sprinted towards the building that would eventually lead me to the apartments, and after, the training room.

I entered the building, keeping a good pace as I manoeuvred my way through the Dauntless compound.

The door that lead to the control room opened but I realized too late and I slammed into the person who was leaving it. The sturdy body made me stumble backwards more than I made it.

"Watch where you're going kid," a male voice boomed above me. I looked up to see a tall boy, roughly a year older than me, towering above me. A Dauntless flame peeked out from under his black shirt.

"Sorry about that, Four." Everyone in Dauntless knew of Four. Last year's transfer who quickly climbed his way to the top of the group during initiation. The one to be given the opportunity to be a Dauntless leader and turned it down to train transfer initiates and work in the control room. The most famous part of him was the fact he only had four fears, hence the name. The average was around twelve but some have had much more. Having only four fears to begin with was unheard of. While everyone knew of him, he didn't really know of everyone else. He preferred to be alone most of the time. He even lived alone. Most people in Dauntless chose to live with as many people as possible.

He reached a hand down to help me up and I took it. He seemed to be studying me as I brushed the dust off my pants.

"Hey. You're Le Fay's kid aren't you? Moana, was it?"

"Morgana," I corrected him.

"Right."

I think I may have forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Morgana Carnwall, daughter of Susan Le Fay and Cameron Carnwall and little sister of Kaiden Shane. My mother was one of the leaders of the Dauntless faction and held lots of power within it. Hence Four knowing my name... Kind of.

The reason for all these different last names is due to quite a few tragedies. Kaiden's father, Henry Shane, was injured during a fight and broke his back when Kaiden was only one. He was then forced into a wheelchair. Well that didn't fly in Dauntless. With him not being able to care for himself anymore, the leaders were forced to kick him out of Dauntless, making him factionless. He didn't want to live like that and rolled his wheelchair into the pit where he died. A year later my mom met my dad and had me. Unfortunately he died and my mother returned to her maiden name. My mother said he fell into the pit but no one else knew of his death. In fact, no one said they even knew my father exised. I didn't bother pushing for answers. It was always a tender spot for her.

"It's your aptitude test tomorrow isn't it?" He asked and I nodded. "Choose wisely. You only get one chance." It was the speech every adult told their kids before the aptitude test, but the way Four said it, it was as if he was speaking from experience. Like he had made the wrong decision. Or he made the right one but he knew what the consequence would have been if he had chosen differently. I was tempted to ask him about his choice, but he wasn't the most approachable person. Especially to me.