The Political Cause

"What are the other causes you are putting money into?"

"We just started our second cause: voter outreach. We want to raise engagement in the democratic process. There are other things we're doing outside of the charity to get involved in campaigns for political candidates who support our issues. People hate politics, Temo, but it's very important. It has so much power over our lives."

"You really think you can change things with politics? Politicians are all the same," I said. "They don't make the world better. They just help themselves. Politics can't make anything better. It's hopeless."

"That's how we've been taught to think, Temo. We've been taught to become passive and cynical. That lets the people with all the power keep it to themselves. Politics can change things for the better. The key is finding a good candidate like we have in Nevada. He's supporting our causes and he has a good shot at an open seat in the US Senate. I know you'd like him, Temo. He even has the same name as you."

"Come again?"

"His name is Temo. Temo Salinger."

"Temo Salinger?"

"That's right."

"What kind of name is that?"

"What do you mean what kind of name is that? It sounds like your name?" Annabelle said playfully. "His mother is Mexican and his father is Jewish," she explained. "He grew up working-class in North Las Vegas. His dad was a civil rights lawyer and his mom was a teacher. He got into UNLV on a scholarship and then went on to Harvard Law. He could've made big money on Wall Street but instead he came back to his hometown to set up services for the poor, stuff like job training, crime prevention, immigration assistance, and after-school programs."

"How did you get to know him?" I asked.

"He helped us open drug treatment centers in Las Vegas, the first Sunflower clinics outside of California. He serves on the state legislature and he convinced them to grant half the budget if Sunflower came up with the rest. He has passion and hope and enthusiasm. He's the kind of person who can make a difference in a position of power. I want you to come to Nevada and support the campaign, Temo.

"Voters have been brainwashed into apathy. They've been conditioned to give up on the whole process. They need someone who can persuade them to give it another chance. You are the great persuader, Temo.

"That's why my father hired you, because you were great at getting the credit card customers to pay their bills. But it wasn't just that. You inspired me to change, just by being who you were. It's like the thing you're mother told you: 'When nothing else is working out, you can still be a good person. Sometimes that's the only thing you have to fall back on.'

"I never had the courage to be a good person until I met you. I've been clean going on nine months now. I am running a multi-million dollar organization, doing things I never thought I'd be capable of. And it all happened after I met you. That's why I want you involved in the campaign up in Las Vegas, because you're the kind of person who can change people's lives."

I laughed. "Well, I think you might have me confused with someone else, but I accept your offer anyway. I am really in no position to refuse. I am glad you reached out and tried to find a place for me to help. I was beginning to think there was no place left where I could do anything positive."

"I know you're going through a hard time," Annabelle said. "Todd told me about the accident. He told me you're separated from your wife. We all deserve a second chance, Temo. You're the one who taught me that. Now it's time for you to teach yourself."

"There's only one thing I don't understand," I mentioned. "How did you know I was in jail so quickly?" I asked Annabelle. "I was just admitted last night."

She bit her lip nervously. "Well, I know a lot of people through the Sunflower Foundation," she said. "I just got word that you needed help."

She walked out of the courthouse without any further explanation. It didn't take a lie detector machine to realize there was something she didn't want to tell me, but I let it go.

When I walked out of jail to the bank of pay phones on Bouchard Street, Annabelle was waiting for me in a shiny, silver hybrid car.

"Where we headed?"

"Las Vegas. We'll drive there tonight. I want to get you involved right away. Besides, it will be good for you to get away from this town for a while."