TWO

.L65d&Jw

I turned down the first guy to show any real interest in me in the past two years for .L65d&Jw. I gave up a hot date for this. I wasn't just going to let down that easily. So I replied.

I think you accidentally butt-texted me.

The minute the message sent, I felt my entire body tense up. What was I thinking? I couldn't just text my ex-boyfriend after two years of silence. I couldn't send that message. I already sent it. Oh God he was going to think I was a creep or annoying or-

"Ahem," I looked up to see Paloma glaring at me, "We have customers." She informed me, pointing to a group of teenage girls who had just walked through the door.

"Right, sorry," I said, shoving my phone back into my pocket.

"What am I going to do with you?" she asked, jokingly rolling her eyes.

"Give me a raise hopefully," I retorted which made her laugh out loud.

"Not if you keep showing up an hour late to work!" she chuckled. I rolled my eyes, but inwardly I knew she was right. I worked hard organizing and taking inventory of the vinyl until my break to show Paloma that I wasn't a completely hopeless case. Sometimes I think the only reason Paloma never fired me was charity. I guess I wasn't very good at hiding how much of a mess I really was inside.

When my break finally arrived I forced myself to wait until after I was out of the shop and on my way to lunch before checking my phone. Oh God, he'd answered.

woah, yea. sorry, mate! ...wow it's been a while. i hope youre doing well.

My head was buzzing, but my stomach dropped. What the hell was I going to say to that?

Yeah ive been good, I typed. What about you?

I walked to my favorite sandwich shop down the street from where I worked. It took Dan a while to answer, so I had already ordered and begun eating when I got a reply.

Good :)im great honestly. actually ive been meaning to text you

Really? My heart fluttered as I typed, What for?

Well we're throwing a welcome home party for peej in a couple weeks so i thought id invite you.

Shit. As if my heart wasn't already beating the speed of sound, now my hands were shaking uncontrollably. The mere thought of seeing Dan again, and Peej, I couldn't even imagine it.

Yeah that sounds great :D

sweet ill text u more details later. i gtg to class now. Ttyl

ok, talk to you soon n.n

Soon.

I didn't want to be desperate, but I was. I was much too much a mess to eat now, so I wrapped my lunch and went back to work where Paloma was pleasantly surprised to see me return on time.

***

"So, you're taking the next couple days off to go home, huh?" Paloma asked over her shoulder as she cleaned the windows.

"Yeah," I replied nonchalantly from behind the counter where I was closing out the register.

"So it's about a guy, huh?" she asked, catching me off guard.

"Uh, what?" I replied trying to play it cool.

"Please, Phil," I could all but hear her rolling her eyes at me as she crossed to where I was, "You never visit your family. You also are desperate as fuck, no offense, and wouldn't turn down a hot date like you did last week if you didn't have other ideas." Leaning on the counter across from me, she said, "Spill."

"There's nothing to spill," I shrugged, avoiding her eyes as I counted the money in the drawer.

"Mhm," she said, obviously not buying it. "Is he cute?"

I sighed, giving up on the register, "He's hot."

"Is he nice?"

"The nicest," I reassured.

"Is he-"

"Paloma, he's perfect," I interrupted her, "Now, will you let me finish so I can go home?"

"He's not an ex is he?" she asked, ignoring my request.

I didn't say anything.

"Oh my God Phil, he is, isn't he?" she asked, horrified.

"I really need to finish th-"

"Phil, please tell me you are not taking the weekend off to go visit an ex-boyfriend." she begged.

"I am not taking the weekend off to go visit an ex-boyfriend," I said. Paloma let out a sigh of relief before I added, "I'm taking the weekend off to go to a party for a friend that just so happens to be at my ex-boyfriend's house."

"Phil!" she scolded.

"What?"

"You're going to see your ex!"

"I mean, I guess he'll be there, yeah, but so what?" I said, irritated.

"So what?" she cried, throwing her hands in the air, "You obviously still have feelings for him that's what!"

"I wouldn't say it like that," I defended.

"You literally just said he was perfect," she reminded me.

"Okay, are you going to lecture me all night or can I count the drawer?" I asked, holding up a stack of notes I had lost track of counting several times now.

"I'll close out tonight," she sighed, shaking her head, "You go home."

"Wha-Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes," she said, exasperatedly taking the money from me, "You have a long trip tomorrow, just go get some sleep."

"Okay," I said, smiling meagerly, "Thanks."

"Yeah, yeah," she said, waving me off, "Hey, Phil?" she called as I turned to go.

"What?"

"Just-please don't get hurt." She looked genuinely worried.

"I won't," I promised, "I'll tread lightly."

"Okay," she said, still looking unsure, "I worry about you, kid."

"Don't call me 'kid'," I laughed, "And don't worry. I'll be fine."

"Okay, as long as you're sure," she said, "Go home."

"Night!" I waved as I left, "See you next week!"

"Night, Phil!" she called, "Good luck!"

Luck, yeah. I was going to need that.