TEN

"OH MY GOD PHIL YOU WILL NOT GUESS WHAT HAPPENNED!"

"Oh my God Dan, what happened?" I laughed, rolling my at his typical overly-dramatic proclamation. Even on my pixelated computer screen, his wide smile lit up the room. He seemed so much happier and more normal recently, I couldn't keep the smile off of my own face.

"I got on the X-Factor!" he shouted, startling me.

"You what?" I ruffled my eyebrows, confused.

"Just kidding!" he rolled over laughing, clutching his sides.

"What's the real news then?" I asked, making a face at him.

"Oh right," he sat up, "You're not even ready!"

"Dan, just tell me."

"No, you're not ready. You're not even—"

"Dan!" I shrieked half-laughing, half-impatient, "Just tell me!"

"I got an audition!" he threw his arms in the air.

My mouth dropped open, "Really? Dan that's brilliant oh my God!"

"I know—here I've got the information somewhere, hang on," he rolled off his bed and walked out of frame. I heard him shuffling around, singing under his breath.

"—Strangers of this world we are—we are not two we are one." It was nice to hear him singing like that again. He used to constantly be mumbling some song or the other under his breath. It was one of those little things: the things you don't notice until they stop happening.

"Found it!" he plopped back down on his bed, startling me out of my thoughts and back into reality. "What're you smirkin' about?"

"Nothing," I blushed, letting my hair fall into my face to hide my embarrassment.

"Okaay then," he giggled, returning his attention to the letter in his hand, "I didn't mention this before because I was trying not to get my hopes up, but I found an audition, but you had to send in a video reciting a monologue in order to get picked for a spot so I did, not really thinking anything would come of it but then this morning this came in the mail!" He held the paper up to the webcam so that I could see it. It was addressed to "Mr. Daniel Howell".

"Well what's it say?" I asked, beaming.

"A load of fancy stuff that basically means that I got an audition," Dan shrugged, "But Phil I got an audition!"

"What show is it for?" I asked.

"Spring Awakening," he said, excitement building in his voice, "I think I've got a good shot, Phil! I really do!"

"Wow, that's so exciting!"

"There's more," he looked a little more anxious now than excited, "it's exciting, but I hope it isn't weird or anyth—"

"What?" I asked, "Tell me!"

"The show's not in Manchester. I looked but there was nothing 'til the new year so I started looking for the closest auditions—"

"You're moving?" I don't know why the thought upset me, but it did.

"Only if I get the part," he replied.

"That's sad!" I said, "Manchester won't be the same without Dan."

"As if you ever visit home anyway!" Dan scoffed, "You really should visit home more often. You worry your mum si—"

"You talk to my mum?" I asked, confused and slightly horrified.

"She calls sometimes," he shrugged.