NINETEEN

"Mum?" I called as I dashed down the stairs the next morning. "Mum? You in here?" I poked my head through the kitchen door.

"'Morning Dear," she replied, not taking her eyes off of her cooking.

""Morning," I smiled, crossing to her to give her a quick hug. I never thought I'd say it, but I missed her and Dad more than anything, especially lately. "What's for breakfast?"

"What d'you think?"

"The Best Pancakes in the Great British Empire?" I asked, jokingly.

"Better," she smirked.

"How'd you get better than that?"

"Waffles," she replied with a wink.

"Oh that is better," I agreed, my stomach already growling.

"Well, they're your favorite," she replied, "and it isn't often I get to spoil you these days."

"I know," a guilty knot began forming in my stomach. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine!" she insisted, "I know you're busy!"

"Yeah, busy," I mumbled. "Hey, Mum, there's something—um—something I need to tell you."

"What?"

"Er—" I stuttered, staring at the tile countertop to avoid eye contact with her, "Um, you know how Dan came last night after the wedding?"

"Yes, of course. He said you seemed upset; wanted to make sure you were okay," she said. "You are okay aren't you?" she added.

"Yeah, I'm fine, but, um," I bit my lip nervously, "He's—he's still upstairs Mum."

"Well."

"Well?" I ruffled my brow. "What's that mean?"

"Well I can't say I'm surprised," she clarified.

"Oh." I didn't know how to respond to that.

"Do you wish he wasn't?" she asked.

"Who?"

"Dan," she replied, "Do you wish he wasn't upstairs?"

"What?"

"I mean, do you regret it?" she asked.

"Oh," I sighed. "No."

"Look Dear," she wiped her hands on her apron and wrapped me in a warm hug, "I'm not going to judge your decisions. You just have to do what you think is right."

"Thanks, Mum," I smiled.

"And if it helps, I was rooting for Dan anyway," she added cheekily.

"What a meddler," I joked. "Well as long as you're fine, I'm going to go wake Dan up."

"Please do!" she grinned, "Breakfast is almost ready."

I bounded up the stairs to my room where Dan was still lying on the bed asleep. I stopped in the doorway and watched him for a minute. He'd never been a graceful sleeper, as if anyone really is. He slept on his side, facing the window, his mouth hanging open and his feet sticking out of the blankets. Still cute though, I thought. I couldn't help but smile as I crawled back into the bed next to him, wrapping my arms around him from behind.