THREE

I think it's fair to say that I was genuinely freaking out as I drove up to Dan's house for the first time in three years. I checked my reflection in the rearview mirror, making sure I didn't have any gaps in my fringe. Good thing too, because as always, I did. 

I hurriedly fixed my hair and nervously ambled up the driveway to the familiar brown door of Dan's house. It took me a moment to gather enough courage, but after a minute I reached a shaking hand to the door and knocked. Immediately, I was greeted by a delighted Mrs. Howell who threw her arms around me, a little too dramatically. I couldn't help but chuckle at how remarkably the same she was.

"Oh, Phil!" She said, looking me up and down, "It's so good to see you!"

"It's great to see you too," I smiled back, a little distractedly. I instinctively scanned the room, but there was no sign of Dan.

Seriously, chill. He's here.

"It's been way too long!" Mrs. Howell grinned, "I miss seeing your face around here!"

"Yeah," I agreed, noticing the ring on her finger, "What's this?"

"Oh, you don't know do you?" she asked, blushing a little, "We're getting married in the spring!" she said, turning to glance at Peej's dad who was talking to Sophie and Jamie near the record player-God it was weird to see them again.

"That's so exciting," I said, "Congrats!"

"Well I'm not the only one, am I?" she exclaimed, "Di and Andrea're tying the knot in December!"

"Really?" I asked, shocked, my eyes finding Di near the kitchen, her fingers laced with the girl who I faintly recognized as Andrea.

"Don't let me hoard your company!" Mrs. Howell said with an encouraging smile, "Go say hi!" I obeyed, crossing to Di a little awkwardly.

"Well if it isn't Phil Lester himself," Di badgered, noticing me as I approached, "The boy who fell off the fucking planet for two years: how the hell are you?" she asked, flinging her arms around me.

"Never better," I replied, hugging her back, "It has been a while hasn't it? Dropped out of uni yet?"

"A year ago," she laughed, "You?"

"Not yet," I laughed, "but if Linguistics keeps kicking my ass, it may not be long."

"Yeah well that's what you get," she teased, punching me in the arm.

"What about you, though?" I asked, "I hear you two are getting hitched?"

"You heard right," Andrea piped up, draping an arm around Di's waist.

"Well when was I going to get an invite, hm?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at Di.

"Don't feel bad," Di rolled her eyes, "We haven't sent any ye-"

"Philip Michael Lester," I spun around just in time to recognize the person bounding towards me as PJ before he tackled me in a hug.

"Peej!" I shrieked, squeezing him back.

"It's been so long!" PJ said, finally letting go of me, "How are you? How's York?"

"I'm good; it's good. All good," I answered, "How's America?"

"Free," Peej laughed, "But it's good to be back in the mother country."

"Understandable," I laughed. "I've really missed you!"

"I know," PJ said, a little sullenly, "I've missed you too. I know we've been rubbish at keeping up, but I hope you come around more often. I heard you've barely been back since you went to uni."