TWENTY

Dan and PJ had already arranged a Christmas party before I came down from York to be held at the Howells' on Christmas Eve. PJ was more than thrilled when I agreed to come because I made an even number for secret Santa.

"I've never even heard of this place," Dan laughed as we entered a tiny shop in downtown Manchester.

"It's just a little junk shop," I shrugged, "Nothing special. I used to come here a lot when I was younger. Everything here is really cheap. Look—" I picked up an old, red GameBoy Color out of a box and offered it to him.

"Tetris?" Dan laughed, taking it from me and inspecting it, "Of course, of all the games, it would have the most boring one with it."

"For 10 pounds I don't think you have much right to complain," I teased, shooting him a wink as I dug through another dusty box.

"It's like a bad garage sale," Dan noted, looking the place over.

"Or a really good one," I retorted, pulling an old camera out of the box.

"What's that?"

"A polaroid," I said, examining it further.

"Aren't those expensive?" Dan asked, looking over my shoulder.

"Not this one," I grinned. "Fifteen pounds," according to the piece of tape stuck to the front of it.

"Does it work?"

"One way to find out," I said, aiming it at Dan and snapping a photo. Sure enough, it flashed and a small square of film printed out the front.

"That's gonna be attractive," Dan rolled his eyes.

"You think PJ would like it?" I asked, ignoring his comment.

"Yeah, seems right up his alley to me," Dan nodded, "Look there's extra film in the box." He handed me the roll. "You're so lucky."

"How?" I raised my eyebrows.

"You got PJ. I got Di," he heaved a sigh, "What am I supposed to get her?"

"That is tough luck," I agreed with a little chuckle. "You could get her a pair of handcuffs," I suggested.

"I'm going to have to ask you never to say that again," Dan teased, pretending to double over sick.

"Just trying to be helpful," I joked.

"You've known her longer than me," Dan pleaded, "Help me!"

"I dunno, you dated her," I winked.

"Can you not?"

"Sorry," I teased, "Come on, I'll help you look. There's got to be something in here macabre enough to suit her."

He settled on a black choker with spikes on it that I said looked a little too fetish-y, but Di liked it when she opened it.

"Alright, who did you have then?" PJ asked Di as she had Andrea help her fasten her new necklace in the back.

"Phil," she said, picking up the small package from next to her and chucking across the room at me. I caught it, but nearly spilled my entire mug of coffee on Dan who was sitting next to me, nonchalantly running his fingers through my hair.

"It's light," I noted.

"Fuck off," Di retorted, but she was laughing.

"Socks?" I laughed, pulling them out of the brown paper. "There's six, but none of them match," I observed.