Prologue

Niall stretched his arms as he woke up. The sun was peeking through the curtains, and he could hear the birds singing outside. He groaned and rolled over, picking up his iPhone. 6am. He sighed and closed his eyes, trying to fall back asleep.

After wasting fifteen minutes, he got up and dragged himself to the bathroom. He turned on the shower and whilst waiting for the water to turn warm, he stared at his reflection in the mirror. He looked awful. His hair was sticking out to every possible directions, his eyes were sad and grey, and his body was bony and white lines covered his hips and upper arms. He brought a hand to his face, as to slap the sleepiness away, the result only proving how exhausted he was. Night after night he woke up from horrible nightmares, and then not being able to fall back asleep, his body was exhausted and barely functioned.

He undressed and quickly got in the shower. He just stood there for a second, thinking. What would have happened if Louis never turned up? Where would Niall be now? In school? In the park where he used to live? Dead?

He quickly shook his head, trying to get rid of the thought of the older boy. But he missed him. Oh, he missed him so much it hurt. He still didn't know what happened, but after three years; is there really any chance that he's still alive?

Niall rubbed his eyes as he got shampoo in them, and reached for a towel. Unlucky has he was, he slipped and fell on his back. He winced in pain, rubbing his back and trying to get up. After several attempts he gave up, and just sat there. The water was still running, and he wasn't done with washing the shampoo out.

Eventually, he managed to stand up, and get back into the shower. His back hurt really much, and he had to bite his lip as he lifted his arms.

After he was done, he got out of the shower, put a towel around his waist and quickly got dressed. He styled his hair in a quiff and walked downstairs. He took out a glass from the kitchen cabinet and filled it with water. He swallowed it all in one quick swallow and filled it up again. After three glasses with water he decided that was enough for breakfast and put the glass in the dishwasher. His stomach was rumbling, but he completely ignored it as he put on his shoes and coat. He got his keys and phone, and left the house.

The sun was bright and warm, and the birds sung happily. He had to admit that it was a beautiful morning, it was in the middle of July and everything was lively and green. He had spent the holiday alone, as his 'friends' didn't care about him anymore. The only one he had was Naomi. But she was in Japan with her boyfriend, had been gone for three weeks, and would be gone until August. Liam and Zayn were long gone, and had been since the day after Louis disappeared.

As he walked into the woods, more birds were singing and the sunlight barely reached through the leaves. The air was cool and it wasn't too cold. A squirrel ran up a tree, its tail messy and bushy. It stopped for a second and looked at him, staring at him with big eyes before it run off again.

He stuck his hands down his pockets and started walking. He walked here everyday, it helped him think clearly. Further into the woods, there was a treehouse, it was usually empty but today it was someone there. It was a ginger girl with freckles and beautiful green eyes. She was wearing a white t-shirt with a logo for some band and a high waisted, black skirt that reached just above her knees. She was wearing toms, and around her neck hung a necklace with a cross on. With her was a boy, Niall assumed it was her boyfriend. He was tall and muscular, with black hair and dark eyes. The girl was talking excitedly about Doctor Who, and her boyfriend was chuckling and shaking his head. Niall spotted a fake sonic screwdriver in her hand, and she was waving it around, and pointing to it while explaining to her boyfriend.

"It's a sonic screwdriver! The Doctor has one! Isn't that so cool?" She exclaimed, and her boyfriend just smiled.

"You're such a nerd." He said as he turned her around and hugged her from behind.

"I'm not!" She whined.

"You are."

"No.."

"It's adorable." He said and kissed her cheek, making her blush.

Niall decided to take a different path to not disturb the lovely couple. As he walked further in he spotted a pond further ahead. He used to sit there, throw stones into the water and think. Sometimes he would even sing.

He sat down at the big rock he usually sat on, and hugged his knees tightly. He rested his head on top of his knees and closed his eyes. He inhaled and exhaled deeply, feeling the sleepiness creeping up on him.

His eyes shot open as his head fell. He looked around tiredly, and almost fell down when he saw the girl from earlier standing in front of him. She was playing with her fingers and looking kindly at him.

"Uh, hi.." She said quietly.

"Hi." Niall replied and rubbed his eyes. The girl smiled slightly, and rocked back onto her feet.

"Mind if I sit down?" She asked, gesturing towards the rock Niall was sitting on.

"Uh, no, feel free."

She sat down and crossed her legs, putting her hands in her lap. Niall saw that she was holding the sonic screwdriver, and he smiled to herself.

"I like your sonic screwdriver." He said and smiled to her. She grinned happily, showing a row of perfectly white teeth.

"Thanks! I'm Michaela, by the way!"

"I'm Niall, nice to meet you." He wondered why she was here, talking to him. She was really pretty, with her long, ginger hair and beautiful green eyes.

"Was that your boyfriend earlier?" He asked to avoid awkward tension between them. Her eyes lit up and she smiled.

"Yes, his name is Damian. He's the best." She grinned to him, fiddling with the sonic screwdriver. Niall nodded, and rested his hands on his knees again. Although it was in the middle of July, he shivered as a gust of wind blew. He hugged his knees tighter and his eyes fluttered closed. He sighed as his eyelids got heavy and he could feel the sleep creep upon him.

"Are you okay, Niall?" Michaela asked, making his eyes shot open.

"Yeah yeah, I'm fine, just tired." He forced a smile and she returned it.

"I have to go, but it was nice meeting you! See you 'round?" She got up, and began walking.

"Yeah, see you 'round!" He shouted as she disappeared into the woods again.

Niall hummed quietly as he spotted a little white flower not far away. He got up and walked over to it, sitting down and picking it up. It was white and very small, but it was so pretty. He studied it for a while before he sat back down on the rock.

The pond was so peaceful at this time of the year. The water was clear, the grass was green and here and there you could spot flowers. Lots of birds lived in the trees that surrounded the pond, and they sung happily. On the other side of the pond he saw a duck and six small ducklings. He could hear them quacking as they ran after their mother.

**

Suddenly a loud ringing noise interrupted the peaceful silence. Niall fished out his phone from his pocket and stared at the screen for a couple of seconds. It was 10pm, he's been here all day! What has he even been doing?

His phone rang again, and finally looked at the caller's ID. Unknown number. What? He clicked 'answer' and put the phone to his ear.

"Hello, it's Niall speaking..?" He said more as a question.

"Uh, hey Niall, it's, uh, it's Harry." Niall's breath caught in his throat and his heart stopped for a second.

"Harry?" He whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Hi! Okay, first off; I'm so sorry! The prologue should've been up long time ago, but I had the biggest writer's block on this story! But now I finally managed to write it, and although it's very short I'm happy with it! I liked how it turned out.

Anyway, vote, comment, fan; it makes me really happy and motivates me!

Fankssss xx

-M