zero

jack's pov

our knifes and forks clinked against the plates, and slightly filled the silence that is usually expected at dinner with my dad.

"i want you home early tomorrow," he began. "mr. edwards has invited us over for dinner, and he wants us both there".

i kept my eyes focused on my plate, as i chewed the food in my mouth, "i'm not going," i responded.

"this is the man that i was telling you about two days ago. he wants me to come over and discuss a promotion" he continued, completely ignoring my response.

my dad always does this. he's gets his hopes up for new job offers, or job promotions, or simply anything that he thinks will bring in good money, from rich, high class idiots.

but then in the end, nothing ever happens - we're sent back to square one, and not even able to remember the last time that our fridge was actually full.

"i'm not going," i repeated and practically chocked out a laugh. "why would i want to spend my evening, eating caviar with a bunch of stuck up-".

my dad loudly slammed his hand down onto the table - interrupting my sentence, "jack, this dinner could finally stop me from struggling to put food on this damn table. so, you need to do as you're told, and be home by four!".

i glared at his stern face, then stood with my unfinished plate, "fine, whatever" i spoke almost inaudibly, then made my way into our kitchen.

+

siena's pov

i pulled the bow of my cello across the strings, as i followed the correct chords on my music book. my dad sat listening with a newspaper in his hands, and my mom cooked in the kitchen.

every sound being played was relaxing and on key, because i've been playing the cello for six years now.

although, on the inside, i was reflecting the exact opposite.

i've always hated this thing, but my dad loves it, and so does my mom - they always want to make sure that my younger sister, isabelle and i have some sort of musical talent in us, alongside our academic talent.

but i'm always wondering if i was born into the wrong family, because none of their expectations are who i am, or even want to be.

being someone i'm not, all becomes a little too much sometimes.

"everyone, remember that mr gilinsky and his son will be joining us for dinner tomorrow evening" my dad announced, just after i had finished performing the song.

i completely forgot that that was tomorrow - i've already made plans with my friends.

"um, dad, can i be excused from tomorrow's dinner? my friends and i were hoping to go a small gathering" i asked, then stood to go closer towards the chair he was sat in.

"a small gathering?" he questioned, pulling his reading glasses further down the bridge of his nose.

"as in a party? definitely not, you'll attend dinner like the rest of us and be welcoming to my employee, and his son. you should be focusing on your homework, not some get together".

i turned away, and subtly rolled my eyes. this is always his final answer to anything that involves me not being at the library, or at music classes. but i suck it up any ways, because there's never a point in arguing, when i have no chance of winning whatsoever.

-

new story yay.

pls vote, comment and share.