epilogue: part three

siena's pov +

i wasn't allowed to leave nevada until the trial against jack was over, so my parents and i booked a hotel to stay in until then whilst isabella was back in los angeles with my grandparents.

they expectedly chose the penthouse suite, but i insisted on having my own room nearby because i needed to be by myself. especially since i recently discovered that the last few months of my life have all been a lie.

i woke up in the king-sized bed, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. beneath it, the skin on my cheeks were dried out from the amount of tears that i shed at night.

my parents bought me a new phone last night with the same old number, so numerous old texts from them and my friends came through.

i scrolled through some of the old photos that my icloud stored, seeing the most recent ones of just jack and i.

i mistakenly zoomed closer into his smiling face, but bit the inside of my cheek as my eyes started to water.

instantly, i locked my phone and dangled my legs out of the bed. i pushed my hair back to try and compose myself as best as i could then headed to the bathroom to get ready for my police questioning today.

+

i dusted off my floral dress, stepping out of the car outside the police station. the whole journey was filled with me insisting that i had nothing to say to the police, but my parents then insisted that the quicker i do this, the quicker jack can be convicted.

from afar, i happened to spot him leaning against the side wall, surprisingly smoking a cigarette.

i cleared my throat to snap out of my reverie before my parents could notice, following them into the station.

after everything that happened yesterday, i can't just let him go, regardless of what he said.

"can i just have five minutes?" i told my mom and dad. "i need some fresh air before all of that questioning".

"five minutes, honey. the detective is waiting" my mother agreed. i'm glad that they hadn't spotted jack outside before or else they would see right through my lies.

i walked over to the wall where jack was still standing. he put out the finished cigarette and stared ahead at the busy street moving by ahead of us.

"i thought they would have locked you up by now" i spoke up.

"not until you give a real statement then i'm in jail until trial" he responded, ending with a careless sigh that instantly made me roll my eyes.

"i can't take this anymore" i snapped. "you acting like i'm nothing to you. you know me and know that i am stubborn as hell, so i am not leaving here or being questioned until you tell me what's going on jack because that wasn't you yester—".

"how long do you think the minimum of life sentences are, siena?" jack glanced to his side at me.

"i-i don't know. i know that they say life sentence, but really it's just a minimum of fifteen to twenty years".

"and what do you think i'll get for all the shit i've done?".

"i don't—".