seventeen

"what?" i recalled, allowing him to climb through the window.

"just us two, let's go anywhere and see how it works out, then for all we know, it could be a permanent thing" he hastily explained.

jack was quite breathlessly that i couldn't even tell if it was because he'd been running or if he was just so caught up in the moment.

"jack—".

he narrowed his eyes, "you told me that you were still up for it and that you'd do anything to go away".

"i know, but i don't want you to do this just because of me and my unreasonable parents" i said. "i want you to want to go too".

"i do, i promise. i mean, i hate this hell hole too" jack chuckled and i eventually did the same. "...so what do you say?".

i was completely taken aback at how genuine the look in his eyes were that i couldn't help but immediately nod my head.

he smiled with a sense of relief before i quickly found my duffel bag and started to pack some clothes and necessities as quietly as possible.

minutes past and i was dressed, and almost ready to go. even though we were planning to travel lightly, i looked around the room for anything that i couldn't just leave, until i remembered.

"jack, what about money? do we have enough?" i questioned.

"i have a bunch of savings from work and from your dad, we'll ration" he shrugged, sitting on the end of my bed.

"no, i can't let you do that. that's your money, you worked for it".

i thought to myself for a few seconds then bent down to look underneath my bed for an old box of mine. i pulled it out and revealed a bunch of twenty dollar bills that i had once saved up from pocket money.

i began counting it and it only reached up to $60. i knew very well that it wouldn't be enough, because we have no clue of where we're going and what we might just need to buy.

but knowing that i shouldn't have, i made my way to one of the books on my shelf and took out an envelope that was stashed behind it.

"my dad hides a bunch of cash in every room to be smart with burglars or whatever" i explained to jack.

i opened the envelope and revealed almost two thousand dollars.

jack stepped forward, "are you sure you want to take that?".

i hesitated for a while, staring at the many hundred dollar and fifty dollar bills in my hands.

"it's been stashed there for months, i doubt my dad will miss it" i eventually told, packing it safely into my backpack and zipping it up.

"siena?".

my head shot up to my bedroom door opening, as isabella rubbed her sleepy eyes and came in with her teddy tight in her arms.

she glanced at jack, then the packed bags on my bed and then me with my shoes on, ready to leave.

"w-what's going on?" she asked.

"siena, we've got to go" jack gently tugged on my arm.

i looked back at my seven year old sister, knowing very well that i'd have to give her some sort of explanation to not seeing her big sister tomorrow morning, and the next.