Chapter Six: His Arms Are Covered in Burn Marks

"Hey, Oliver."

No response.

"Um... Oliver?"

His eyes remained on the TV.

"Oli—"

"-Hush child," He held a pointer finger up at you as he continued to watch Steven Universe on your TV. "...Just look at that color palette!"

You sighed and adjusted to a more comfortable position on your bed. You'd invited Oliver over to talk about last night, but he'd claimed it was time for the 'new episode' and put on the gay space cartoon. Once it was over, he started gushing over Pearl again. "She's so precious and smart! And she reminds me of me.~"

"So uh..." You sat up and faced him. "You ready to talk now?"

He nodded eagerly, his attention fully shifted from the TV to you. "Of course poppet. How was yesterday? Is everything nice and dandy between you and Zao-kins again?"

You wrung your hands together and averted your eyes, "Well, actually..."

He gasped and momentarily covered his O-shaped lips with a freckled hand. "Oh no," He crept closer to you and sat cross-legged on your mattress. "What ever happened?"

You chuckled before answering. He wouldn't be too surprised to hear that Zao was drunk, would he? "He was hammered when I got there. It was kind of funny and cute, but some... things happened."

He was nearly bouncing by now. "Oh?~ Like what?"

"He... he said some things that I don't know if he would have said if he was sober."

Oliver's usual grin didn't falter. "Did he confess his love for you, hmm?"

Your skin warmed at the plainspoken guess, but he wasn't entirely wrong. "S-Sort of. Not really. I mean, he said he liked me. He kind of blurted it out though and didn't seem to realize it."

He tilted his head, "I see. In all honesty I'm surprised he hasn't accidentally divulged that he likes you before now."

"He's given some... huge hints! I'd just thought he was messing with me was all, and I just—" You paused. You didn't know what to say or what came next.

Oliver exhaled with that same Cheshire smile on his face. "He can be quite unpredictable, yes?" He leaned into you, his hands in his lap. "Now the question is: How do you feel about him?"

"He makes me happy." You'd said it without thinking.

"That's good, very good! How did you feel when he admitted to having a crush on you?!"

"Well, he'd been acting like a cat the whole time, and it was just another crazy thing he'd said to me. I... wasn't entirely shocked, but I didn't know how to react to it..."

He nodded in understanding. "And those words could have come from his heart. We all know he speaks his mind without holding back, and I doubt he'd change those ways while intoxicated. I'm sure he meant what he said, dearie."

You looked down at your comforter, toying with a stray string. "Right, right." There had never been a doubt in your mind that what he'd said wasn't true.

"You're a lovely girl, _____. Of course he likes you.~"

Your stomach coiled in elation at the thought. "But," You rasped, "You know of his, uh, 'habits'. I'm not sure if he can break them."

A few heartbeats later, he looked down somberly. "I understand; I've been trying to get him off those body-destroyers since I met him."

Another few seconds of silence passed until you heard knocking on the front door.