Chapter Fifteen: He's Committed to You, Darling

This night seemed endless.

The condo's hallway was empty. Through the floor-to-ceiling window, moonlight poured across the patterned carpet and white walls. The lights overhead flickered audibly with age.

Your back was resting against your front door as you stared at the ground, giggling, as Zao laughed quietly and tried again. "I mean, this is the part where you stall... Y'know, mess with your keys and stuff... Right?" His voice was soft, thoughtful, but you could detect more laughter threatening to bubble up to the surface.

"Yes...," You murmured, unable to stop smiling. "Not that I would know. This is my first date too, remember?"

"Mhmm. Oh wait, no. I'm supposed to do this." He pressed his palms to the surface behind you and leaned forward, caging you between his arms with no escape.

After a few seconds of silence, you both burst into laughter again. "This is the iconic position of every shoujo anime."

"Right?" He grinned, "That may or may not be the reason I've always wanted to do this to a girl."

"And I was the first?~" You cheekily half-sang.

His smile was gentle. "You were the first. But then again... you've been a lot of firsts for me."

Your voice quieted to match his. "Like... what?"

His eyes slowly roamed over your face with an admiring expression. "...I'll tell you some other day, bǎobèi."

"But tonight's the night of our first date," You pressed, half-joking. "Wouldn't it be good to know right now? Before I go back inside my house?"

"Tales for another day."

You rolled your eyes, "Such a tease. In more ways than one."

He grinned, his arms still taut on either side of you. "By the way... I don't think you ever gave me that thank-you kiss."

"A... thank-you kiss?"

He nodded once. You were staring into his mischievous face – and down to his full, perfect lips. No one was around, it was quiet, and you were about to go back into your house. It was now or never. He was waiting, and he'd just given you one of the best nights of your life.

You whispered, "Then I'll give it to you now." You deserve it, honestly.

Carefully, you tilted your head, leaned forward, closed your eyes, and pressed your lips to his. Soon, the touch of soft skin registered on your closed, sensitive mouth.

Your heart was pounding hard enough to feel the pulse in your ears, and his warm lips were limp with surprise. Quickly, you pulled away, a flush burning from your cheeks down to your neck. "Thank you. I had a great time and... you even got me to dance at a rave. I don't know how you managed that."

He was in a daze for a few seconds. "...Anything for you." Once he recovered from the intimate thank-you that spelled finally, he leaned in for a deeper, more invasive kiss.

The back of your head pressed to the door as his mouth smoothed over yours, applying more pressure, intensity, and movement than before. This was a real kiss. Within seconds, you felt the wet brush of his tongue slide over your bottom lip. A wave of heat washed over your body and you accidentally let out a sound of pleasure.

His hands slid down the wall toward your own. Through another open-mouthed kiss, he gripped your palms in his and interlocked his fingers with yours; making everything seem too good to be true.

After another ten seconds of making out with him, you recalled what you'd been meaning to tell him all night. You needed to say it before he left, you had to.