Chapter Eight: He's In Your Veins

"Hipster."

"I am no hipster, dearie."

You inhaled deeply before reasoning, "You wear those huge nerd glasses, you wear pastels, you wear flower crowns, your hair is pink."

Oliver giggled, "I still do not interact with the 'hipsters' at school, I solemnly swear it!"

You'd been having a guessing game about who Oliver hung out with during school. So far, you hadn't gotten his clique right.

"I only know you're friends with Allen and Flavio..."

"Then who do you suppose I spend my time with during school?~"

You tilted your head in astonishment. Frankly you hadn't expected them to speak as much during school as they did after. They simply didn't look like they'd be friends. "...You guys must have a weird crew."

He laughed giddily. "It's so cute and funny to see the reactions of people who find out Allen and I are very best friends!"

"Mm... what about Flavio? He seems like he'd hang out with the divas or popular kids or cheerleaders or something."

Oliver tsk'ed. "Wouldn't they love to have him? Hehe, but no, he is with us and us only.~"

You adjusted the beach towel under your legs and stretched. "Huh..."

It was especially hot today and you two had been lounging around in your scorching condo. Oliver had complained countlessly, since he'd been used to cold and rainy London. By his hundredth or so whine about the heat, you'd finally suggested hitting the public pool.

You two were currently resting in the shade, sitting in white reclining beach chairs. The sounds of whimsical splashing and laughter carried in the warm breeze. The scent of ice cream emanated from the snack bar, mixing slightly with the nostalgic essence of chlorine. Colorful towels and patterned umbrellas dotted around the several pools. Young lifeguards kept watch among each body of water, and iridescent hues glimmered from the sunshine on cerulean water.

"So, who else do you guys hang out with?"

"Hmm... are you implying that you'd like to meet our other friends, poppet?"

I have a feeling they wouldn't be as nice as Oliver and Flavio... you internally worried. "Um... no thanks, I'm good with just you guys for now."

He laughed in that very British manner of his. "I understand.~ The rest of them are very rude and intimidating! Oh... except for those German brothers, I suppose."

You slid down your Ray Ban sunglasses — er, Allen's Ray Ban sunglasses, since he'd let you borrow from his endless supply of them. "'German brothers'...?"

He nodded. "Lutz and Gilen are very sweet! If you were to meet any more of our friends, I would suggest them next!"

"Umm...," You gazed into the cloudless blue sky. "Maybe sometime."

After a bit, your attention was back on the sun-kissed water. It looked more than appealing, especially since you hadn't dove in yet. "Hey. Let's go swimming, Ollie-pop."

You stood up and glanced at him, but an expression of dread had crossed his pale face. "Ah..." He looked away from you and rubbed his left arm apprehensively.

"Hm? What's wrong?" You perched down at the end of his elongated beach chair.

"Y-You see..." His voice had quieted down to a near whisper and his eyes darted back and forth, uncomfortable. "Ehem... I'm too shy to get in or take off my cover-up," He leaned into you and covered a side of his mouth so no one could read his lips. In a hushed tone, he said, "My pasty white skin would blind everyone! Also... I'm self-conscious about my freckles." He admitted shamefully.