Chapter Seven: His Real Wish is to be Powerful

You were scrolling idly on your laptop while sitting at the dining room table when your father first proposed the idea.

He was lounging at the end of the counter while looking through work documents when a certain flyer had caught his attention. "Hey _____, it says here that my new work company will be hosting an event at the zoo this weekend. They're looking for high school age volunteers to help out with some of the stands, would you be interested in joining?"

You peered at him from behind your monitor. "Uh..."

He was still shifting through paperwork. "I've only been working there for a few weeks. It'll make us look good."

"Both of us? How?"

"You're in high school. This volunteer job will look great on a college application someday and..." He put down some of the papers and looked at you directly. "If they like you, they might write you a letter of recommendation. When you start looking for your first job, this could be good to attach to your resume. Also," He reached over and playfully patted your shoulder. "You need to get out more, hon."

You exhaled. "Is that the only reason you're making me do this?"

"I'm not making you."

"But you'll be mad if I say no."

He laughed. "You should just say yes."

You thought about it for a moment. Volunteering at the zoo for a few hours? Running a drink stand with the company logo on top for a bit? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Besides, you'd never been to the zoo around here, and it was probably really nice.

"Okay, fine." You said. "Do you think it'll be fun?"

-D-R-A-G-O-N-D-I-S-T-R-I-C-T-

The next Saturday morning, you were leaving the building with your father for the zoo when you caught Allen halfway out of the lobby. Perking up a bit, you slid over and fell into step with him. "Hey twatface. Where you heading to?"

He glanced at you but ignored your very British insult for him. "...I told Flavio's brother I'd help him do something today."

You arched an eyebrow at him. "You... offered to help someone... do something?" You tried to wrap your head around the other piece of information. "And... I didn't know Flavio had a brother?!"

He pouted. "Well he does, and he's a little bitch. I uh, owe him for something, so that's why I have to do this."

You nodded. "Yeah, now it makes sense." Allen may be a fun friend, but he wasn't exactly the happy-to-help type.

"So what about you? Oh, and 'sup man." He aimed a lazy peace sign towards your father in acknowledgement.

"Morning Allen." His tone was casual and comfortable.

"I have to do some volunteer work at the zoo with him." You shrugged. "By the way...," A thought had just surfaced. "Is Zao's phone still lost?"

By now, you'd reached the building's exit and Allen pushed the door open for you. Smirking, he replied, "Yeah. I'll let him know to meet you there."

You came to an immediate halt, and you felt the corner of your dad's briefcase hit the back of your knee. "Why'd you stop walking?" He complained, his attention partially on his phone.

You moved out of his way, and he went to start up the car. Once he was a distance away, you whisper-shouted to Allen, "...That's not what I meant!"