Cloud Burst

Thor grinned triumphantly.
     "Mother, I'm taller than Loki!" he announced proudly. His little brother scowled.
"Yes, but you're older than Loki, too," said his mother gently. "Loki is little, he'll soon grow to be as tall as you."

It was Loki's turn to grin with triumph.
                      As soon as their mother was out of their playroom, the older of the brothers gave the younger a little push.

               "Shorty," he teased.

Loki frowned, but chose to ignore Thor.
                        Seeing that his brother was not going to respond to his taunts, Thor toddled over to the window.
                    "I'm going to go out there someday," he told Loki, who had followed him.
"And then," added Thor, "I'm gonna climb a tall tree and properly see Asgard- not in small snippets that we see through the window."

"Oh, haven't you properly seen Asgard already?" asked Loki with a smile of innocence.
Thor frowned at Loki. "What mischief have you been up to, Loki?" he asked.

"Nothing!" protested Loki. "It's just....well, I'll show you tonight, after everyone is asleep."
"The place where you go every night?" Thor asked curiously.

Loki faltered. "You know about that?" he asked.
              Thor nodded.   "Every time I wake up at night, you're gone," he explained.

Sure enough, that night when Loki was sure everyone was asleep, he woke his brother up with a gentle shake.
              Thor awoke immediately. He had spent the entire day in quiet anticipation of what his brother was going to show him.

"Come on, Thor," he whispered.
               "Mhmm," Thor drowsily slipped out of bed.

 Loki led him through various passages in the castle, ones Thor rarely went to. Finally, they came to a small ladder hanging off a hatch in the roof, which Loki clambered up, with Thor in tow.

Thor gaped. They were on the roof of Valhalla, and Thor had never before seen Asgard this way- in silent beauty, shining under the moonlight.

"You come here every night?" he asked his brother.
Loki shook his head.

"Mostly I go to the library," he admitted.
           "What for? You read in daytime, too."
Although very young, Loki had a keen interest in reading.
"Well..." Loki hesitated.

Thor tilted his head.
"Well, what?" he prompted.

"Promise you won't tell anyone," said Loki. "Promise on Father's life."
Thor shrugged. "I promise," he said solemnly.

"Okay," said Loki with a small sigh.
Out of the folds of his clothes, Loki procured a small pebble. He placed it a little distance away from himself, then outstretched his hands, his face screwed up in pure concentration.
The pebble rose. The pebble actually rose, it levitated a few inches, then dropped.
Loki went, picked it up and tucked it away again, turning to an open-mouthed Thor.

"How did you do that?" asked Thor in awe.
Loki flushed with pride.

"I found a book on magic in the library," he said. "I've been practicing every night."

"I've never seen a book like that," frowned Thor.
"You don't frequent the library," said Loki. "There's a whole section of magic in it."

"Wish I could do that," said Thor, a little glumly.
"Wish I could summon thunder and lightning," said Loki wistfully.

They sat a while more in the moonlight.
"You know, a lot of people dislike magic as a weapon," said Loki after a while.

"Why so?" asked Thor with a frown.
"They think it is cowardly to resort to magic instead of fighting," sighed Loki. "You won't think me a coward if I pick magic as my weapon, will you, Thor?" he asked anxiously.

Thor laughed, real affection for his little brother shining in his eyes.
"I cannot think ill of you, Lo. Even if you tried to destroy the world, I'd still own you as my little brother."