Second Chances pt.4

A few months had passed and Luke was as involved as he could possibly be. He'd call you everyday asking to talk to Theo and then continue a conversation with you for at least half an hour afterwards; he'd come by whenever he had time and take the two of you out for a day of fun, or if you weren't available, he'd simply go with Theo and get some ice cream and do some other father-son activities he'd be planning on doing a week beforehand.

"Do you guys wanna come to the beach with us today? Everyone's coming and I think Theo would find it really fun? He loves it when we go to the beach and this time there would even be children he could play with and not just boring old me," you heard Luke's soft chuckle come through the phone.

"Please, our son is barely 5, you're still so far from being old," you laughed into the phone, turning up the volume of a blaring radio in the kitchen.

Luke bit his lower lip at the pleasant feeling that spread through his body at the banter you two were having and from the way you said 'our son' instead of sticking to the phrase 'my son', as you used to do. "Well, I am a bit too old to play on the beach all day with him," he snickered, "but if you guys come today, he'd have other tiny people playing with him. I can pick you up in like an hour or so?" Luke offered warily.

"Sure, that works. We don't have anything planned anyway," you laughed again, especially at the fact that Luke still called children 'tiny people'. "Do I need to prepare anything? Like, food or drinks, or anything?" you wondered out loud, opening your fridge to see if you at least had any products you could use.

"No, it's alright. We've already bought food and everything, so I only need to pick you up and get there."

Luke arrived about fifteen minutes too early and, much to his surprise, you were still running around the house like a maniac trying to pack Theo's toys and stuff. Luke let himself in, since it was very common for him to be around in your flat, and he froze in his tracks, when he saw you only in a bikini, because you were still packing and getting ready.

"Hi, sorry, I didn't know you were-" he said, turning around, not wanting to make you feel uncomfortable or offended.

"Oh, please, it's not like you've never seen me in a bikini before," you replied a little out of breath, a soft laugh erupting from your lips.

"I believe last time I did, that happened," he said, pointing to Theo, who was running out of his room and to Luke. Picking Theo up, Luke chuckled at his own remark, even though his heart started racing in his chest at how risky it was.

You snorted, "Still, my body had barely changed since then. I lost my pregnancy weight in literally a week, so," you stuck your tongue out at him, when you were walking past, Luke's eyes trailing after you and taking in your beautiful shape.

Luke loved having you around so often and he loved it even more, when his eyes could linger on you without you noticing a secret gaze hidden under his dark sunglasses. He thought beach day would allow him to show his affectionate side and maybe hint at how he felt about you, but his heart dropped the moment he saw Michael's tattooed arms wrap around your waist, picking your screaming self from the hot sand and carrying you into the waves. You laughed and kicked, and hit Michael playfully and he seemed to love every bit of it, his hands holding you tight, his smiling lips hovering over your hot skin. He pulled you into the cold waves with him, your body slamming into his, as both of you fell on the ground, waves wetting your whole bodies.

Luke hated seeing you this happy with Mikey and he hated it even more that he couldn't do anything like that with you, because deep down he knew that even after almost three months of talking to you every day and seeing you at least five times a week, he still wasn't as close to you as he wished he was. He turned around, not wanting to see the two of you flirt with each other so painfully obviously. He went to grab a bottle of beer, but before he could even pour the cold liquid down his throat, he heard the words that would've most definitely made him choke.