Second Chances pt. 7

You didn't anticipate it, but the moment you heard the door shut and rested your head on a pillow, with tears blurring your vision, there was only one person that came to mind. Your fingers mindlessly dialled the number and when his tired voice came through the other end, you felt yourself unable to speak.

"Can – can you co-o-ome?" you choked out your words, sobs leaving your mouth every so often. And in no time, you were laying on your sofa with your head in Michael's lap, as his fingers softly played with your hair, quietly whispering gentle sorry's.

Out of all the people in your life, you thought of Michael that night. It wasn't that you thought of him as your saviour or your comforter. No, but he was the only one who knew the pain you felt and how deep it had settled in your soul and how the wounds never really healed and now were just being torn open all over again. And Michael understood that, because he'd felt it before himself and he could help you relate, and he was more than ready to give his all to you.

But that was the thing – he wanted to give his all. You've known Michael for years and you used to be very close before you even got romantically involved with Luke. And Michael had never openly told you, but in the back of your mind you always knew that he loved you since the first time you took a sip of his drink, leaving lipstick marks on his straw with a grin forming on your painted lips.

He hated you for not loving him back and he hated you for running off (according to Luke) without letting him know first. He never wanted to see you, but when he did after those years, he felt his body burning. He didn't want to admit it, but you'll always have a piece of his heart and no matter how bad you hurt him, he'll always find a reason to forgive you.

You were scared that maybe he stopped adoring you, when, after your and Luke's divorce, you didn't hear from him. But when you saw his little signature smirk on his lips with a soft whisper in your ear that night at Calum's, you knew that he could never stop loving you. And maybe it was selfish, using his unconditional love to pick yourself up, but you didn't know any other way and his soft touches, his gentle whispers and his dirty jokes were all you ever needed to feel better.

So it wasn't surprising, when you felt the tears dry on your cheeks and your lips stretch into a smirk that night. You didn't feel weird, when his arm hugged you close at night or when you didn't find him next to you in the morning.

It was always like this – you'd cry till you fell asleep and he'd comfort you till he couldn't keep his own eyes open anymore. But he'd never greet you in the morning, vanishing like a dream in the night before you woke. Perhaps he feared it'd feel too intimate for you and you'd start avoiding him or perhaps he was scared he could never leave once he's seen your beautiful eyes open slowly in the morning light.

Luke knew about your and Michael's relationship and he never feared that his best friend might steal his girl. But Mike's newly found confident and flirtatious side around you made Luke remember what jealousy felt like. He wouldn't usually get jealous a lot, but whenever someone else was close enough to breathe on your skin or smell your hair, or take your hand, he'd feel his cheeks flush at the fiery feeling and his skin crawl with uncertainty.

And now, even though he hadn't see you for a few days, the feeling was washing over his mind and crawling over his skin every so often, because not only were you mad at him, you were probably encircled in Michael's warm embrace, angry words followed by Dan's or maybe even Luke's own name rolling down your tongue. And he felt jealous that he wasn't the one you'd go to after a bad day or call when you were sad for no reason.

He used to be that person and he used to be your person. But he's pissed you off now and he's hurt you a long time ago, and it felt like nothing could be done to change how you felt about him. He tried not to lose hope and determination, but his heart felt cold and his mind was dark, and you were the only fire he needed.