Chapter One: Nancy

The airport was bustling with people as I looked for my father and Hannah. I hadn't seen them in a week and was eager to tell them about how my latest case had gone. With my Father being a lawyer, he was always interested in the mysteries I came upon.

"Nancy!" I heard Father's strong, familiar voice call.

I turned and smiled to see his extended arms, ready for an embrace. "Dad!" I ran up to him. Hannah Gruen was right behind him. She gave me a tight hug then stepped back to look me over, making sure I came home in one piece. My mother had died when I was just four years old, but Hannah was the next best thing to a mother. She baked the best treats in River Heights, gave the best hugs, and always knew how to cheer me up whenever I was feeling down.

"So, how did your case go?" Father asked as we made our way out of the airport, my suitcase rolling behind me.

I jumped with excitement. "It was great, Dad! Mr. Humphrey did it! He stole Mrs. Gate's jewelry so he could carry on with the pie business he believed was going downhill because she was stealing all his recipes!" It had been a difficult mystery. Mr. Humphrey really knew who to cover his tracks, but he was still no match for me.

On the car ride home from the airport, I observed that my Father was trying to hold back a smile from the backseat. I could see the crinkles around his eyes. "Dad? Why are you grinning like that?"

"Just glad to have you back, Nancy." I sensed a hint of hesitation in his answer. He was also drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. He only did that when he was anxious. Something was definitely up. I did not press for answers, and instead let my mind wander out the window as I gazed at my hometown, the beloved River Heights. I had grown up here and make sure I always return to it after each case. Even though I have travelled the world, no paradise can beat my home.

I was fairly well known in River Heights for my passion of investigation. I even had strangers knocking on my door from time to time asking if I could help them with a case. I have never turned one down. From missing puppies to murder, it was all brilliant to me. Everything about mysteries just called to me. Being able to put pieces together, with clues big or small, was a pleasure. It is not that I agreed with murder or theft, but I liked being able to help the victims. There was also someone in the world who needed my help somewhere.

I had not been in my house for ages, work always taking me away. This was both satisfying and disappointing. You can not have the best of both worlds. This meant not seeing my family and friends. One of the most disappointing was not being able to see my boyfriend, Ned. We had been dating for years, but never taken it a step further. There was never time. The guilt of missed dates and anniversaries still hung over my head. Thankfully, Ned was always forgiving and understandable about my forgetfulness that I never thought was acceptable.

I had no idea what was waiting me at my house.