Chapter Seventeen: Joe

"Hello?"
"Joe! It's Bess!"
"Hi, Bess! Did you find any clues?" Bess was define fly excited about something, which was a good sign. Ned gave me a pleading look, wanting answers. Poor guy.
Ned hasn't been acting like himself, which I guess is expected. He is more sulky and depressed with dark shadows under his eyes. The normal plastered smile is nothing but a faded memory.
I give him a pat on the shoulder as Bess said she would pass the phone to George, who explained Brenda Carlton's move to NYC. After I thanked George and hung up, I spread the news to Ned and Frank.
We were on our way to the police station to ask about Brenda's whereabouts when George called. Frank spoke as her drove, "So, with Brenda out of River Heights, she couldn't have kidnapped Nancy. That's one suspect eliminated, but now we need more suspects."
    Ned nodded, "I don't know who else would have done it."
    "Me neither," I said as my stomach grumbles, "But, it might be easier to come up with ideas over food. I could really go for a cheeseburger."
    Ned protested, "This isn't a time for food," but then his stomach argued with him.
    Frank pulled in to the nearest diner and we all scrambled out of the car. Once we got inside, I heard Ned whisper, "Oh no. Deirdre's here."
    I didn't know Deirdre very well, but I heard stories about her. I know she also went to high school with us. According to Nancy, she spent her days trying to ruin her life. According to Ned, Deirdre was always trying to flirt with him. But, when Deirdre saw us standing in that diner, she quickly pulled out her purse, slapped some money on the table, and hurriedly got up from her table, holding bags of food. This was getting interesting.