Ears Burning?

T'yonga was a lifesaver. My car had, naturally, broken down, so she had given me a lift to campus in her, much more modern one.

"You're really going to have to get yourself a flying car eventually, you know," she chastised me, as we glided along the busy roads, the car floating a few feet off the ground "Wheels are so outmoded, and they break down so much easier. Life is better without the fear of a puncture..."

I nodded along to her moaning, but wasn't really paying attention. I was still seething that I hadn't got onto the Biochemistry elective. I'd been looking forwards to it all summer.

"I was first in three out of four of my classes last year." I butted in, cutting her silent, "I can't believe that they didn't place me with McCormack. It's ridiculous. What am I going to learn in advanced mathematics that's going to help me practice medicine?"

She looked over at me, her curly red hair tied up in a bun, strands of coils escaping from it in all directions, "I know, honey, I know. I'd be pissed if I missed out on a year with McCormack too..."

"It's not about McCormack..." I continued, and she snorted with derision, "I just wanted to get onto that subject, that's all."

"Well you never know," she reassured, "You might enjoy math."

"I enjoy the subject, I doubt I'll enjoy the teaching..." I muttered.

I'd had Vulcan teachers before. All logic and no fun, which not only meant that they didn't allow experimentation, something that I had a craving for, but they didn't allow alternative methods. If I worked out an equation a different way than how my previous Vulcan professors taught me, they would mark me wrong. It was infuriating.

The car pulled to an abrupt stop as T'yonga parked outside Starfleet cadet headquarters, and stepped out. I followed suit, and she locked the car door behind her and pocketed the keys. The first day of the year was always busy, and cadets were milling around, chatting to each other, hanging out in big groups outside the science buildings and catching up after 2 months of summer holidays. I spotted the first years, in uniforms too big for them, looking at maps that were larger than themselves and trying to find their first lecture room. The second years were also easy to spot, they still looked young, but had slightly too much bravado in that 'I survived first year' kind of way.

"I'm sure Commander Spock isn't that bad," continued T'yonga. She had been talking whilst we were walking, but I'd zoned her out.

"He's Vulcan, 'yonga. No fun, no rule-breaking, no improvisation."

"Vulcans can be hot," she said, in an attempt to brighten my mood.

"If you thought with your brain half as much as you thought with your vagina you'd be passing mechanics with flying colours." I shot back, and she merely gave me a large grin, her white teeth flashing against her green skin.

"I'm Orion, darling, that's what I do."

"Well I'm pretty sure a year getting taught by a Vulcan won't be much fun, T'yonga. I don't think Vulcans do fun."

A tall man stormed past us at a fast pace, looking at us both with distaste as he strode. He was wearing the Starfleet blue shirt that symbolised a science worker, and his dark hair was cut in an unusual style, with a very short fringe. His eyebrows, the same dark colour as his hair, were pointed. It wasn't until he stormed past us towards the maths building that it registered with me.

His ears ended in a sharp point.

Ah shit.

"Was... was that a Vulcan?" I whispered, and T'yonga giggled.