Knight In Pointy-Eared Armour

"No, but he literally bought a brand new teapot," I urged, much to T'yonga's amusement, "For me."

She chuckled to herself, and placed her drink down on the bar, looking at me with what could almost be described as sympathy. It was once again just her and me, and despite being exhausted after a long day yesterday, I had decided that going out on a Saturday night wasn't such a bad idea. The bar was buzzing with Starfleet students, and a few teachers, who all had the same idea.

"A teapot?" she asked incredulously, her left eyebrow quirking up in amusement, "Well. It's basically a proposal, then."

I rolled my eyes at her reaction and took another sip of my strawberry daiquiri cocktail, resting my elbow on the bar.

"All I'm saying is that it was odd, don't you think? That he cared so much about whether I was comfortable?"

"Alex. You're going to have to stop pretending that he doesn't affect you."

Her response took me by surprise and I was frozen in silence for a few seconds. Surely I wasn't pretending anything? I liked him, of course. He was polite, and since apologising to me for his original behaviour, I realised that he was also relatively kind. Well, kind for a Vulcan.

"Affect me?" I repeated T'yonga's words back at her in an attempt to try to make sense out of them.

"Oh, come on, Alex. I've known you longer than anyone in this goddamn Country, even Bones."

My lip quirked up at the mention of my dissection teacher. T'yonga and I had often discussed him, me usually talking about his teaching methods, her reflecting on how good his arse looked in a suit.

"You can't look me in the eyes and tell me that you don't have even the tiniest, most minuscule bit of a crush on him."

I sighed, and took another sip of my drink, before staring T'yonga directly in the eyes, not even blinking.

"I do not have even the tiniest, most minuscule crush on him." I deadpanned and she laughed, throwing back her head dramatically.

"Denial, my darling, the first stage of realisation."

We were interrupted in our little chat by an already bladdered James Tiberius Kirk, who staggered up to us both, half a glass of cider in his hand. He slung his arm around T'yonga's shoulder, but looked directly at me.

"Alex." He said, "You're friends with pointy-ears, aren't you?"

I was taken aback by his question, but regained my composure quickly.

"I wouldn't go as far as friends, Jim, but I'm an acquaintance."

"Acquaintance, shamaintance. Can you get into his private files or not?"

That question really did render me speechless for a good ten seconds. What the hell could a Cadet like Jim Kirk want with the Commander's Private files? It wasn't as if he was planning on getting some algebraic division done in his spare time.

"No, James. I can't." I responded quickly, and he pouted comically, before dragging up a stool and sitting next to T'yonga, "Why do you want to?" I enquired.

He sighed, and crossed his legs, "The Kobayashi Maru."

That was all the answer I needed. Spock personally designed the Kobayashi Maru, a test so difficult that nobody in Starfleet history had ever passed it. I recalled T'yonga telling me about Jim's failure in it a few days ago, and understood his plan completely.

"No." I said simply, "No way, never. I'm not going to help you cheat your way into the cabin of a ship by risking my own degree. That's not going to happen, Jim."