The Final Frontier

I can't believe it. After about 8 months, this baby is finally finished (And don't worry, I don't mean completely finished! I plan on writing a sequel documenting Alex and Spock's time in space) But for now, I'm afraid this is goodbye. Hope you enjoy, and don't forget to review.

My fingers were still tingling slightly by the time I walked into the Dissection classroom. I was greeted on sight by Su Ling, who naturally was carrying a fully formed pair of Gorn lungs.

"Nice..." I muttered to her as I pulled my lab coat from my satchel and placed it on a hook, shrugging the long white fabric onto my shoulders and fastening the buttons at the front. The last thing that I needed today was to get bodily fluids on my jumper.

"Oh, sorry..." She laughed, as I followed her over to a small table, where she placed the lungs down gently, "I totally forgot I was carrying those."

I snorted out a burst of laughter to myself. I understood what she meant. In dissection, it wasn't unusual to get so caught up in work that you ended up carrying body parts all around the room.

"Brains!"

The loud shout caused me to jump slightly, and the entire class turned to stare at the front of the room, where Leonard McCoy had just entered through the large double doors. Spock hadn't been lying when he had mentioned Len's face, there was a scar on his jaw, the left-hand side of his lip was split open and... were those finger marks on his neck? A mumble of uncertainty rolled around the classroom, but a quick stare from the doctor soon shut everybody up.

"To be alive is to have a brain, and guess what I've brought for you today?"

He grinned and pulled out a large plastic bag from his rucksack, slipping on a pair of latex gloves and pulling out an extraordinarily large brain from the bottom of it. I looked at Su Ling, but she seemed as confused as me.

"What the hell kind of alien is that from?" She whispered, but I merely shrugged. I had no idea.

"Can anyone tell me what organism this comes from?" I noticed that Leonard was looking everywhere except at me, his eyes roaming the entire classroom, but skipping over mine intentionally.

A hand shot up somewhere behind me, and the corner of Bones' lip curled up in a smile, only enunciating the deep gash underneath it. Spock must have fought back pretty hard, by the looks of the aftermath of Bones' face. What the hell had he been thinking, trying to fight a Vulcan? It was common knowledge that they had not only superior strength but also enhanced speed and agility. Either Bones was insane, or he had actually been so angry at Spock that he hadn't cared about the repercussions.

"Looks like a Talosian brain, Sir."

A mumble of shock ran around the classroom. Talosians were almost extinct, the only remaining ones living in underground caverns and hiding places after a nuclear disaster all but destroyed their homeland. How in the shit had Bones managed to pick up one of their brains? Despite my anxiety at having to eventually confront him, I couldn't help but stand up a little straighter, excited to get a closer look. A Talosian brain was an incredible thing. They were a species that had the power of illusion, the power to create incredible fantasies and mind-tricks. To get to dissect one... that was something that hardly any med student could claim to have done. This was going to be an interesting lesson.

The class split up into groups, and Leonard called each student up in turn to have a look at the Talosian brain, leaving the rest of us to our own devices.

Su Ling grabbed a scalpel and begun chopping up the lung, looking for the bronchioles. She looked at me, a playful glint in her eyes.

"Did you see the doctor's face?"