Chapter 6: Lessons in Contact

Sarina sits on the couch, hands folded in her lap. She looks to the dojo every ten seconds on the dot, stares for three seconds, then returns to watching nothing. Splinter and Donatello have been conversing for ages, or at least that's how she feels about it. She can't put her finger on it, but not being around the purple-masked turtle for this long of a period is making her feel off.

She feels a rush of wind as someone sits next to her and when she looks, she finds Michelangelo grinning at her. "Waddup, girl?" he greets.

"Hello Michelangelo. You seem happy," she observes.

"I am happy!" he responds. His face grows almost serious for a second. "And you're not. You don't know what happy is, and that's heartbreaking."

She blinks, her eyebrows furrowing slightly. "I am hurting you? I apologize."

He shakes his head, laughing a little. "Nah, I'm just being dramatic. My point is that I want to do whatever I can to help you learn emotions." He scoots closer to her with excitement brimming in his baby blue eyes. "So? Want my help?"

She nods. "I would appreciate that, although...Donatello already offered, so you don't have to if it's too much trouble."

Michelangelo's face falls for a split second, but he hides it away swiftly. "Honestly, I don't think Donnie's gonna be up for teaching you happiness anytime soon," he admits. Before she can inquire as to what he means, he changes the subject. "Personally, I find happiness is one of the easiest things to feel. I eat pizza, I'm happy. I play video games, I'm happy. I go on patrol with my bros, I'm happy." He grins. "See? Even just talking to you is making me happy!"

Her eyes flash and a warm feeling sparks in her chest, then fades. "Oh," she breathes. "That is different."

"Huh?"

"I felt something inside my chest," she explains, touching the spot. "I am...grateful for your acceptance of me." She looks down and her eyes flash yet again. "Most find me eerie, and I suppose that is one of the reasons why the Kraang kept me locked away. It feels..." She ponders for a second as a short sequence of flashes goes off. "...lonely."

Michelangelo frowns and he wraps his arms around her, making her slump against his plastron. She doesn't stiffen, nor does she return the hug. She stays in a slanted, seated position as her expression floods with confusion.

"Why are you squeezing me with your arms?" she inquires.

He grins at her, still holding her close. "It's called a hug. When people feel sad, hugs can make them feel better. In my opinion, they're the best way to cheer someone up." He leans closer. "Especially Des and Donnie," he whispers. "They may not look like it, but hugs can really help lift their spirits. Makes them feel less alone, y'know?"

"Oh, that is a wonderful tidbit of information. I thank you," she says. Another flash comes and goes and her shoulders drop slightly. "I apologize for all the eye flashing. I am learning so much, it can't be helped."

"That's okay, Sarina," he chirps, finally releasing her from the hug.

She glances to the dojo yet again, but when there's still nothing, she returns her attention to Michelangelo. "I am feeling another emotion, but I can't explain it because I don't understand the cause and effect," she says. "It isn't pleasant, but I quite enjoyed that...hug. Could I have another?"

His entire face lights up like a Christmas tree. "You like my hugs?"

"They are warm and strong, much like the feeling of Donatello holding my hand, but on a larger scale," she says, looking down at her palm. "I do not remember ever being held or treated in such a way. It is confusing, yet..." Her fingers suddenly curl inwards and she inhales sharply. "I suppose I crave contact."