Chapter 14: Lessons in Jealousy

After a good night's rest, Sarina finds herself back in Donatello's lab. She paces back and forth across the floor, arms folded tightly behind her back and her body aimed forward at a rather sharp angle. Donatello occasionally glances up at her before returning to work on a new t-phone, but the rhythmic slapping of her feet on the floor doesn't make it very easy for him to focus.

"Sarina?" he calls, making his voice as sweet as possible. She doesn't stop pacing. "I sense that there's something on your mind. You pace when you think."

"I cannot...stop...thinking," she says, "about Leonardo..." Donatello's head snaps up, eyes wide, and she adds, "and Destiny..."

"Oh shell, that freaked me out for a second," he breathes. He rests one hand against his chest and whistles.

"They are almost infuriating," Sarina says, stopping just long enough to stroke her chin. "There must be something going on. The way they act, showing how much they care—gah!" She pouts heavily. "I am far too curious about those two."

He sighs. "Here's the short answer to your question: they were dating, they broke up, but they still have feelings for each other. Des is just...emotionally unavailable. Boom." He fits a screen onto the shell-shaped outer layer of the t-phone with the precision of a surgeon. He takes out a small hammer and begins tapping lightly at the corners of the newly-constructed phone.

She spins to him, her eyes flashing as she perks up. "I am going to spy on them."

He jerks so hard that he nearly bashes the hammer against the middle of the screen. He groans and sets the tool down, pinching the space between his eyes. "Can you...not say things like that when I'm working or drinking or anything? Every time..." he mutters.

"What is wrong with a little observation?"

"No, no no no, you said spying," Donatello says, lifting himself to his feet as he wags his finger at her. "Spying is about secretly collecting information. It is sneaky, it is rude, shall I go on?"

"Alright, then I will not spy. I will observe."

She turns on her heel and heads out of the lab. He squeaks and scrambles after her, nearly tripping over a spare chair as he does.

"Sarina, no," he says.

"You cannot stop me."

He grabs her arm and plants his feet. "I can sure as shell try."

She keeps walking, her face screwing up with effort as, slowly but surely, his feet start to drag against the floor. He grunts and puts his weight against her, but she pulls even harder in the opposite direction. Sweat appears on both their foreheads.

"How...are you...so strong?!" he pants.

"You know exactly how," she retorts, eyes flashing. "Healthy young man strength, remember—" She grunts. "—Donatello?"

"Sarina, I'm telling—" He gives a desperate, two-armed tug to her. "—you, this is...a bad idea!"

"My curiosity requires answers!" she cries.

"What the heck are you two doing?"

Both mutants stop as their heads snap to the voice. Raphael stares at them over the edge of his comic book, one eye-ridge arched. Donatello and Sarina separate, the former turning beet red as the other folds her arms behind her back and dons a poker face.

"We were...just...uh..." Donatello rambles.

"Engaging in tug of war. It is a game," Sarina says with a curt nod. Raphael's disbelief spreads.