Chapter 2: Hopeless

Art by Clockwork-Cadaver (Please note that Sarina doesn't look EXACTLY like that. This is more to give you an idea of the eyes, hair, and circuit patterns.)

Destiny and Donatello reach TCRI in record time. It's relatively empty inside save for the occasional, aimless Kraang droid that patrol the lower levels at night. Destiny slices of said aliens apart when it crosses their path, punts the Kraang brain as far as she can, and snatches up the robot head with hardly a blink. She tosses it to Donatello, who manages to catch it even if his head isn't in the game.

"This has gotten really easy," Destiny says. "You know, ever since we annihilated the Kraang and all."

Donatello gives a weak nod in response. They head for the elevator, go inside, and Donatello uses the Kraang head to activate the Kraang-exclusive levels of the building. The elevator starts its steady climb to the correct floor.

The only noise is the echoing clank of Donatello throwing the robot head aside. Destiny fiddles with the hilt of her blade, starting to bounce on her feet.

"So...how are we supposed to find Mikey's phone?" she asks.

He holds up his phone. "Tracker."

"Oh, right."

His russet eyes fall to the floor so that it too gets a fill of their miserable gaze. Destiny bites her lip and tries with all her might to just let the silence happen, but it's worming its way past her defences. She exhales heavily.

"Donnie, I'm worried about you," she admits.

He snorts. "Yeah, tell me something that I don't already know."

She doesn't let his comment deter her. "It's been two weeks. Yes, it's still fresh and you're not used to it, but moping won't help. Moping isn't going to make her break up with Casey."

He stiffens, jaw clenching. "I know that," he utters. "I can't help it. I loved her, Des, and I thought that maybe she was starting to love me too. Turns out I was wrong."

Destiny frowns. There's a lot that she could say. She could spew the same general "it'll get better" and "no pain is forever" shtick, but the truth is, she's having a hard time believing it for herself. The last thing Donatello needs is for her to be a raging hypocrite.

"Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, you don't influence someone else's choice and that you shouldn't blame yourself for what happens?" she suggests in a quiet voice.

"Are you saying that for yourself or for me?"

"Both, okay? At least I'm trying, Donnie," she snaps. He flinches and she instantly freezes. Her face crumples and she slumps against the elevator wall, muttering a faint cuss to herself. "I did it again. I'm sorry."

He shrugs. "It's fine," he mumbles.

The elevator reaches the correct floor and lets out a soft ding as the doors slide open. Donatello heads from the elevator and Destiny goes after him, ears flattened against her hair. He hardly looks at her as they traverse the winding hallways.

"Donnie, I was just trying to suggest that your life isn't over and that we can find something else to...I don't know, reignite the flame," she says. He doesn't make a sound. "That's all, okay? It's hard enough for me, trying to act like nothing's wrong. Think of everything we've been through lately. You got through that, so—"

"Des..." He sighs, stopping in his tracks. She bumps against his shell and he turns around. His eyes are watery. "This isn't something you can cure. Everything's just...hitting me at once. April's gone, Diaval's gone, the Kraang are gone, and I feel like I've lost something too. I just can't figure out what that is."