Chapter 44: Lessons in Injury

The snowflakes drifting lazily from the grey sky onto the sleepy streets have the potential to be beautiful, but Diaval is more focused on his pounding, aching head and the clenched hands around his trusty bow.

Shredder and Splinter duel one another with precision, lethal swipes and narrow dodges, locked in a battle fiercer than ever before. Diaval feels his stomach churn and another wave of pain rolls through his brain as he is reminded of the last time he lingered and watched his former master battle Splinter.

"This will be the end of you, Hamato Yoshi," Shredder growls, blades glinting as he adjusts his stance. "No more will you haunt my waking days with your presence."

Splinter steadies his fast breaths with the cool, calm expression that he tries to uphold at all times. "If you finish me today, I will continue to haunt you in death," he states.

They lunge again. Diaval focuses in every ounce of energy he has on Shredder, but his desire is rampant and the possibility is within his grasp. No matter how many images of Splinter's corpse Diaval throws into Shredder's head, the hold breaks far too swiftly. Shredder knows that he is close to victory and that does not bode well for Diaval.

He releases what little hold he can find with a heavy exhale, his stance wobbling as he tries to catch his breath. Shredder's aura, his cold, evil wishes, seep into Diaval's bones as if he's being submerged in ice water, pushed beneath the surface so that he's struggling for breath.

He's not alone in this. Splinter grows more and more exhausted after every swipe and while Shredder is too, he is fuelled by his hatred. Diaval grits his teeth and switches his attention to Splinter, projecting good memories onto him, letting them flow from him. Diaval shows Splinter all of the times that Diaval went for coffee with Karai and she would laugh and act like a regular teenager. He shows him the times at the farmhouse when Michelangelo told stories or they watched cartoons and ate snacks. He shows him every good memory that he can and wills him to fight a little longer.

Splinter's ears perk and he casts a brief glance to the pale boy, the faintest of smiles on his lips as he grips his emerald sword a little tighter and reengages his foe. Diaval pulls out his phone, rereading Leonardo's last message, the response to Diaval's call for backup.

L: Be there soon. Hold on.

He purses his lips and pockets the device. "Tch, better hurry," he mumbles.

There's an incoherent shout from Splinter and Diaval readies his bow.

----------

Leonardo can see the Wolf Hotel in the distance, his heart pounding in his ears as he wills himself to move faster. His thoughts are rampant, dashing between assured and frantic in duelling mindsets that he can't get a grasp on.

Are his brothers okay? Are Destiny and Sarina and April okay?

Of course they are, he tells himself. Why wouldn't they be? They fight Shredder's goons all the time.

Yeah, but will they reach me in time? he wonders. If Shredder and Tiger Claw are both up there, will Splinter and Diaval be alright until he can get there? Will the three of them be able to hold them off until the others arrive?

Shut up, Leo. You planned this for so long, you can't let doubts get you down now. Breathe. Remember your training. This will end tonight, one way or another, and it is not the time to be afraid.

He reaches the hotel base and deploys his grappling hook. It latches onto the lowest fire escape and he zooms upwards with a click of the trigger. Landing on the platform, he casts his gaze upwards for a second, just able to catch a breath before he keeps climbing. The sounds of battle get louder. There's the unmistakable sound of metal weapons clashing, mixed with grunts and shouting roars.