Weightless [Jack Barakat]

Eleanor's POV

I sat there in class, staring at the back of his head. His brown hair, his muscular shoulders, his perfect clothes. His perfect self. His stupid, ungrateful, unthoughtful, unkind self- I mentally slapped myself at the raging thoughts going through my mind.

It doesn't concern you, I thought to myself, trying to focus on what the teacher was saying up in front of the science classroom.

I did pretty well trying to ignore everyone all through class. That is, until we had to write down our homework. Until he turned around with his perfect face, to ask for a pencil.

I handed it to him, trying to keep my hand as far away from his as possible. He didn't smile, didn't say thank you, didn't notice my scowl. He just scrawled down what he needed to on his paper then tossed the pencil over his shoulder. It bounced off the top of my desk, then plopped down on the floor, rolling a few inches before coming to a stop.

The bell rang as I bent over to pick it up. I grimaced as I quickly gathered my things, thankful for the day to be done with.

"What's up Barafag?" I heard laughing voices call from down the hallway.

A cheerful voice answered back, sounding completely unaffected. "The ceiling!"

"Nice one," another soon said, and I turned around to see two lanky boys bumping fists, one with chestnut hair falling over his eyes and the other, taller than the first, with dark brown and a bleached streak. It reminded me of a skunk.

They started walking down the hall my way, and I tried to hurry up getting my things from my locker.

"Dude, come on! We gotta practice tonight. My parents aren't home, so we don't have to be quiet."

"I told you, I've got some things to do at home but I can come over tomorrow. If you really want to, just practice without me."

"Fine!" The one with chestnut hair said. "I guess I'll just have to sit home alone watching terrible rom coms and throwing popcorn at the screen while I cry my eyes out."

They both laughed.

"Hey, Eleanor." I jumped when I heard someone say that. And turned around slowly to see skunk stripe smiling at me as he walked by with his friend. His friend smiled to and gave a small wave, and I stared dumbstruck as they continued walking.

They just said hey to me, like it was no big deal. They just...acknowledged me.

I should've felt happy that they did. I actually might've been used to it, if things had gone differently. But instead I was surprised.

I was mostly surprised because someone actually knew my name. Nobody else seemed to, even teachers had to ask me what it was from time to time.

I blinked, realizing I was still staring even though there was no one else left on the hallway. I finished getting my stuff then went outside quickly, feeling awkward that I was standing inside for so long.

Usually because I was only a few blocks away from school, I walked home, and I preferred it over the loud and obnoxious bus. It was nice to be able to be alone and just think about things.

Think about stuff that I couldn't talk to anyone about.

I got home in about twenty minutes, and dropped my bag at the door.

"Hello?" I called out. "Mom? Bill?"

No response. I sighed heavily. There was a note taped to the fridge, and I tore it down to read it, in my stepdad's handwriting.

'Eleanor-your mother has a presentation tonight for work. There's cold lasagna in the fridge and you can heat that up on the microwave if you're hungry. We'll be back late, maybe not until after eleven-thirty because if she gets the promotion we're going out to celebrate. Don't get into trouble, and text one of us if you go out.

Bill'

I rolled my eyes at the last part. It was really unnecessary to add it, they knew I didn't go out ever. The last time I hung out with friends was when I went to an end of the year party after eighth grade.

My stomach grumbled, and I rushed to the fridge to find the mentioned lasagne. I didn't even bother heating it up, I was so hungry from skipping breakfast and lunch.

After eating, I felt a little bit sick from scarfing it down so fast, and went upstairs to my bedroom to find something to do.

I crashed down on my bed and lay there, looking up at the ceiling. I started thinking about the rut my life had fallen into over the last few years, and couldn't help but to pity myself at seeing I had nothing to look forward to ever, it was all just the same routine.

A tear rolled down my cheek, followed by another, and I soon broke down into a fit of heaving sobs, weighed down by a sudden depression. Within no time, I had cried myself to sleep.