Chapter Six

Jack's POV

"Jack, chill out," Rian told me, clapping me on the back. "She's actually really cool, so don't be nervous."

I couldn't help but be nervous. "What if she's different than I thought? I haven't said one word to her ever! What if she hates me? What if Alex scares her away? What if she hates the band?"

"Breath, Jack. Your anxiety is getting the better of you on this one. I gave her a CD with one of our songs on it, and she said she liked it, so don't worry."

We were standing by the front doors of the school, waiting for Eleanor so we could all somehow squish into Zack's tiny car. Zack and Alex were already waiting.

"Hi," a quiet voice said, and I looked to see her at my left side, hefting up her backpack.

"Hey," Rian smiled, and I waved awkwardly. The three of us walked into the larking lot, and packed into the back seat of the car, Eleanor in middle of me and Rian.

Alex turned around with a grin. "Are you ready for this?" She shrugged next to me, looking at her lap shyly. It was cute how she was so shy sometimes. "Well, we're cool dudes, don't worry."

He turned back to the front and Zack pulled away. "I'm Zack, by the way. No one in here seems modest enough to introduce us, so hey."

"Nice to meet you," she said.

Rian nudged her, and I heard him whisper quietly so the guys in the front couldn't hear, "hey, don't feel awkward around them. Remember what I said yesterday? Just talk like you were to me, and it'll be okay."

She nodded, smiling slightly.

There was a few moments of awkward silence, then Alex thankfully put in a Greenday CD. Brainstew was the first song that came on, and I heard him softly singing along up in front to himself.

"This was on that CD you let me borrow?" Eleanor asked Rian, and he nodded, then pointed at me.

"If you like this band-Greenday-then talk to Jack. He can give you a whole list of bands you would like, and once you get him talking he won't quit."

She smiled tentatively up at me, and I did back a little. "It's true, you know," I said, grinning. "Once you get me talking, I can't stop."

"Eleanor!" Alex shouted from the front, turning the volume off and spinning around to face her frantically. "Do you mind swearing?! Yelling?! Do you eat meat? Oh my gosh, we're going out to dinner-what if she's vegetarian, guys?! Are you?"

Her eyes widened as he kept inching closer to her face. "Uh, yeah. I mean yeah, I eat meat. I'm not a vegetarian."

He leaned back, looking satisfied. "Good, good. And the swearing?"

She shook her head, laughing slightly. "No, I don't mind. I'm a big girl, I can handle it."

"Yay!" He faced the front again, and we all sat in a comfortable silence, with Greenday playing softly in the background. Alex starting giggling, and I saw Eleanor raise her eyebrow at him. He was then laughing, full on, and spun back to us. "You know what's awesome? I'm not even on drugs, I'm just weird!"

I chuckled, and Zack punched him playfully in the shoulder.

We drove for a while longer then got to where we were going to eat dinner, a diner with really good burgers. Everyone ordered and we split the bill, then went to Alex's house, where we set up to practice in the garage.

"Here," I said, carrying out an extra stool we had and setting it in middle of the driveway. "Alex's parents won't be home yet for a while, so you don't have to worry about getting run down by a car."

"Thanks," Eleanor said, smiling, as she sat down on it.

The sun started to set, causing making everything glow orange, and parents started calling small kids on bicycles in to get ready for bed.

"Just sit tight, and we'll be ready in a few minutes," I said, and began to turn around but she stopped me by saying my name.

"Jack, who sings?"

"Alex," I answered, "why?"

She shrugged. "I was just wondering. What do you do?"

"Lead guitar," I said, smiling. "Zack plays bass, and Rian plays the drums."

She nodded, and smiled back. Alex called for me from inside the garage, holding out my guitar.

"I should go..." I said, motioning behind me.

She nodded, and I jogged over to Alex, putting the strap around my neck. "Ready?"