Chapter 8: Broken Memories

Since Ghost was untied for the afternoon, he spent his time trying to open the door. He could not, so he decided to pace around and think.

He thought about Toast, and if he knew that he was alive in the rancid hideout of the murderer. Ghost wasn't sure if Toast knew that Jimmy Casket kidnapped him or if Toast thought it was a nobody. No, that wasn't it. Johnny Toast was a smart man, and he would have connected the dots. Toast knew about Casket from his personal encounters as well as Ghost explaining the visions and dreams he had often a bout him. Beside all of it, though, Ghost wondered if Toast was coming to save him.

The door opened and Casket poked his head in. "I've really done it, really. Beyond your level, it is. Amazing and spectacular and groovy," he said cheerfully. He walked in, pulling up his sleeve to reveal a large device tied around his wrist. "This is something you want to try. Ready?" he said. Ghost backed away. "What are you going to do," he said. Casket took off the device and placed it on Ghost. "Press that blue button. And then think of any memory, and keep it. Let it do its magic." Ghost followed the instructions and pressed the button. He tried to think about something happy, but all he could think about was the Honeyhall Manor, and what went on in it. The unholy horrors that uncurled from the house and the evils that followed him since that time. He shook it from his mind instantly and tried to think of something else, but just then, he was surrounded by dark fog and whistling. He opened his eyes and looked around to see what was happening. He felt blinding light against his eyeballs so he shut his eyes again until he thought it safe to try again.

Silence. He heard nothing. He saw gray and white photographs everywhere. Not photographs, but what it looked like.

It was the image of Johnny Ghost and Johnny Toast walking down a hallway of Honeyhall Manor, following a shady, dirty 'butler.' Ghost was at the end of the hallway, looking across. Looking around once again, he realized he was where he was when this took place, except it was all gray and nothing was moving. Even the fire of the fireplace was still and emitted no heat. Ghost slowly walked down the hallway, touching the people. Nothing happened. He looked at Toast. Ghost sighed, "I miss you. Come get me," he said in Toast's ear. Nothing. He wondered when he was going to snap out of this memory, and when he got impatient, he tried to walk out the door. Out the door, he looked around. He gasped; Aimee was standing right near the door, following them. Ghost smiled. "You always did like me, Amy," he said. "Er, Aimee."

But when he turned around again, he a black van. And a figure standing next to it. Jimmy Casket was in his memory. He was pointing a gun to a bystander's head. But since it was frozen, Ghost didn't know what Casket said. As soon as Ghost blinked, the van was gone; and the bystander was lying in a pool of crimson blood. Ghost gulped. He had no idea this was happening when he was in the manor. He looked back into the manor. What was happening when Casket shot the bystander, Ghost thought. What he saw was the lantern the butler was holding on the floor, and his back poking out of his shirt, eyes bulging. Now I get it, Ghost thought. The gunshot happened right as the lantern fell and the butler screamed. We didn't hear the shot. Now Ghost was worried. Right as he started to run and find the van, he stopped in his tracks. Colors zoomed around him and his vison faded. His stomach lurched as he was thrown upwards towards the sky...

His eyes opened and he was staring at Jimmy Casket, in the room he was previously in. "See? Amazing, isn't it? You just went back into one of your memories. Was I there? Good," he said, pacing the room. "You see, I was in that memory too. And I have a device too," he said pulling back his other sleeve to show another device. If I go back in the same memory, I can move too. You know, back in that memory, I pointed the gun to the person but didn't kill him. He told me what I needed to know and then I left in my van. But when you went back to that memory, so did I, and I had control over it. I awoke there with a gun pointed to the crying man's head. And I could either put the gun down or hold the trigger. And I just...couldn't stand it, so I pressed it. I heard no sound, no blood sprayed, nothing. But then I blinked out of the memory and went back in, and there the guy was, bleeding out on the road. I got into the van and drove to where you lived. He told me where you lived, John." he said. Ghost looked down.

"The only thing that changed was that I killed him. It was fun," Casket said. Ghost jerked towards him with anger, but to his surprise, he was chained to the chair. Casket laughed. "You know, in an hour, this could be a memory I could travel back to," he pointed a cold gun to Ghost's head. "Wait a moment, and see if I kill you."

After about ten seconds, Casket put the gun down. "See? You see? In an hour I will travel back to that moment where the gun's at your head. I could leave or kill you. I left you alone. That is called a broken memory, a memory with a crack in it that I can travel in and travel back through. And that is how I time travel, in a way. Almost. I really can't tell you the rest. But yeah. And that's why I made the device." Ghost smiled. "You're a jackass, Casket, but your mind...it's amazing," Casket pointed at Ghost. "Bingo! Yes! Nobody understands me! I'm like a-"

Four loud knocks on the door echoed. Casket went to the door and opened it and closed it. Ghost heard another door open. "Oh my, John thought you'd come!" he heard Casket say.

He also heard a punch, footsteps, a scream, and the door of where Ghost sat threw open. Ghost smiled. "Hello, sir," Johnny Toast said, standing in the doorway. Aimee came through the door too. She waved at Ghost sweetly. Sally peeked through the door too. "Hi," she said. All three of them fell down as Jeremy scrambled into the room. Ghost screamed. Jeremy ran all around the room, smelling and looking. He crawled up to Ghost and looked him in the eyes. "Hello," Ghost heard a warped, faded voice say. Ghost gulped. "Uh, hi." Toast walked up to Ghost. "I'm so glad you're ali-" Toast stopped speaking. He fell to the ground, sparks flying off of him. Sally and Aimee jumped out of the way. Casket was standing there with a black eye, and a tazer. He put the tazer down. "Your friends are...mean." he said. "I'll just chain these guys up with you, John. Except for you." he looked at Jeremy, growling and staring at Casket. Casket looked overjoyed. "Yes, you're what I needed. Your form is barely physical. You're a ghost, a spirit. Come with my, my friend," he said soothingly, beckoning Jeremy.

Casket, Toast, Sally and Aimee covered their ears as Jeremy let out a scream. Casket sighed. "Freak."