I. Boy Trouble

Chocolate coated candies

Luna knew the vast difference from the outside world compared to the humble home where she grew up that she could name few markedly examples. In the mansion, silence was highly respected that for most of the time it was too much. Out here, it was loud and there's always noise in every corner she listened. The dimmed and dull painted walls of her little castle were nothing compared to the vibrant and blinding surroundings outside. The frames of her ancestors and deities strategically hung on the petite corridors were the only faces she knew starting from the day she learned to remember. On the other hand, she has to face sorts of strangers whom never ceased to confuse her.

Yet she was fully aware of it from the very start. She had expected to encounter those minor details as part of her mission. But never ever thought how little she knew of the real world.

That all her life she was living in a lie.

Luna believed that all this time, the food she loved to eat together with her family has close resemblance to the taste of the food beyond their gates. Ever since she could remember, her grandma's dishes were served in every meal time and filled her stomach. Never once did doubt that it would taste different from the foods she saw on the glossy papers of magazines because the appearance was almost the same.

Like a curious student, she often observed her grandmother working her magic on the kitchen. It amazed her how the sweet woman would create something edible out of a heap of ingredients like a casting only it was for a good cause. The experience she gained gave her the upper hand and she was confident to make it to the next phase without hassle.

Or so she thought.

Cooking was far more complicated than what she expected. Not only that she failed to pass the Second Phase miserably, also she has come to realize the vague difference of her grandma's cooking to that of the common folks. She didn't just succeed on complying Menchi stringent expectation furthermore she was criticized and was offended for her dish.

Menchi's comment felt like salt on a fresh wound as the woman called the steak she wholeheartedly prepared bland that reminded of her of meals served for old people. The woman just took a slice and tasted it with high hopes seeing it was worthy enough for her mouth but never did swallow.

The resentment was startling. Luna couldn't perceive where she did go wrong? As a matter of fact, before serving her dish she tasted everything and was deeply satisfied. It was just like sweet grandma's tender pork specialty that her family loved. So being rejected was really heart breaking.

Menchi's decision was unacceptable not only because she rejected every dish served but mostly because she insulted her grandmas cooking. This was supposed to be the easiest part of the Hunter Exam but turned out to be the last part. Menchi brutally dismissed everyone through her announcement that no one passed the exam this year. Which was obviously didn't turn out well. Turmoil ignited like wildfire between the applicants who refused to accept their fate and the woman who blew a fuse after her beloved cooking was attacked and disrespected.

Luna slowly entertained the idea that no one was getting their Hunter license this year given how things were going when a huge airship parked above them and from there descended an old man with a thick beard, pierced and stretched earlobes that really bothered her and made his dramatic entrance. He looked traditional and courtly in his kimono. His powerful presence cleared the commotions as all eyes stared with awe on the little stunt he made. There was hint of brashness on the old man's smile as he caught all attention.