Prologue

Minerva paced incessantly in the Headmistress's office awaiting Hagrid's return. She had sent the giant of a man out hours before on the insistence of Albus and Severus to find the infant Riddle girl.

"Are you sure this plan of yours will work?" she growled at the images of the two most recent Headmasters before her.

"Quite sure, Minerva," Albus smiled confidently.

"Have you decided on the Head Boy and Girl?" Severus drawled.

"Granger is set to be Head Girl, but for Head Boy... Everyone will expect it to be Potter, but knowing him, he'll turn down the position," Minerva replied.

Albus smiled, "How about young Mr. Malfoy?"

"Malfoy!?" Severus asked incredulous.

Minerva smiled remembering a long forgotten bet between her and Albus, "Yes, I think that will work well. I will inform them both about their posts."

"Remember, they're not to know who the other is," Severus reminded.

"I wouldn't dream of it."

Minerva sat at the desk and began writing as she awaited Hagrid. About an hour passed before he arrived carrying a small bundle. Inside the bundle was a baby girl with pale blonde hair and bright red eyes. The child of Thomas Movolo Riddle and Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Thank goodness you've arrived," Minerva exclaimed taking the child. "What held you up so long?"

"The Ministry was investigating the house when I left, and asked many questions about the child," Hagrid replied. "Kingsley's coming in a few to talk ter ya bout it."

"Thank you, Hagrid."

"Her name's Emily. It was on the door ter the room she was in. Right pretty name if ya ask me."

Minerva smiled and Hagrid left, but she wasn't alone for long as Kingsley Shacklebolt, the Minister of Magic and member of the Order of the Phoenix, appeared in the doorway.

"Sorry to disturb you, Minerva," Kingsley apologized.

"No worries, Minister. I assume you wonder why I have taken the child."

"Please, don't use formalities, and yes, that is why I am here."

Minerva explained Albus and Severus's plan, and he agreed that it just might keep Emily away from the Dark Side.