Chapter 5 (Hermione)

Caring for a baby was not easy, but Hermione was more than ready for it. She carried about her duties without a problem. Emily was a very well behaved child, and there were little to no problems. At lunchtime, Hermione took Emily with her, which resulted in Draco coming over to ask her why. Hermione merely explained that Emily couldn't be hidden forever, and he left them at the Gryffindor table. A few minutes after Draco left, Harry and Ron sat down.

"Who's that, Hermione?" Harry asked pointing at Emily.

"This is Emily Riddle, Harry. She's the new responsibility for us Head Students," Hermione replied.

"Emily Riddle as in Tom Riddle?" Ron asked as Harry glared at the child.

"Her parents are Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange. Professor McGonagall asked Malfoy and I to take care of her."

"Get that wretched thing away from me," Harry all but growled. "Its father killed my parents, and its mother killed Sirius and tried to kill Ginny."

"Harry James Potter, don't you dare blame the child for the sins of the parents! It's not Emily's fault as to what her parents were!"

"It's Voldemort's spawn. It'll be just like him. Even worse is that it's related to Bellatrix as well."

"I don't know who you are anymore, Harry," Hermione and Ron said in tandem.

"I'm going to leave," Hermione stomped off to the other end of the table with Emily. Ron glared at Harry and followed Hermione.

When lunch was over, Draco came over to take Emily; Hermione then went off for classes. Herbology was the average, boring class as always, and History of Magic was even more dull and dreary than normal. In both classes, Harry avoided Hermione and Ron after the argument at lunch, and Hermione returned to the common room stressed and angry.

As Hermione stormed into the room, Draco was walking out of Emily's bedroom after putting her down for a nap before dinner.

"What's got you in a bad mood, Granger?" Draco asked.

Hermione growled, "Harry. He acts like Emily should pay for her parents crimes."

Hermione began to cry then suddenly, Draco's arms were wrapped around her as she wept onto his shirt. Hermione wasn't sure why, but his arms wrapped around her made her feel safe and as if nothing could possibly be better.

"Just ignore him, Hermione," Draco whispered. "He's wrong. You know that; I know that. That's all that matters."

"I forgive you," Hermione whispered.

"What?" Draco asked.

Hermione smiled, "I could tell in your eyes and voice you've been wanting to apologize for how you've treated me for the past seven years. I thought perhaps this was your apology."

"No," Draco whispered. "This is."

The next thing that happened, Hermione most definitely did not expect. Draco lifted Hermione's chin so that she was looking up at him, and placed his lips on hers. Hermione felt a rush of electricity run down her spine, and she placed her arms around Draco, pulling him closer, and deepening the kiss. They remained kissing for a whole minute, but it felt like a lifetime. When they pulled apart, Hermione saw Draco truly smile for the first time.

"Now that," Draco chuckled, "was an apology."

"The best apology I've ever received," Hermione replied. "But I think I may need another before all's forgiven."

Draco smiled, and was more than willing to comply.