Up, Up, and... Down?

Reason is our soul's left hand, faith her right. -John Donne

*Lara*

The alarm clock buzzed loudly in my ears. With a moan of disagreement I slapped my hand upon it, quieting it. After about three more minutes of relaing in the bed, I popped up. I had a lesson! I could not embarrass myself by being late!!

I quietly got out of bed, hoping I wouldn't wake my roommate, and got dressed in some old, ripped jeans. I slipped on a loose fitting t-shirt, some socks, and shoved my feet into my rubber boots. Yes, this was what my mom called 'fashion.' I definitely disagreed..... more like a fashion disaster.

With heavy eyelids I quietly speed walked down the cold hallway, hugging my shoulders to keep warm. I went own the stairs hastily, almost tripping numerous times. When i got to the bottom of the stairs I sat down the catch my breath... Who knew this would be so hard?

Once I caught my breath I stood and walked quickly outside, looking around to see if anyone else was awake. To much relief I seemed to be all alone. I jogged out to the barn, careful not to spook any horses- which would have been SUPER embarrassing.

Panting, I walked down the aisle to stall 46 where i found Vegas cross tied, looking back at me. He snorted a greeting, bobbing his head with excitement. I shuffled my feet, nervous, when suddenly I heard a voice from behind me.

"You know how to tack up?"

I spun around, almost running right into a tall, lean woman holding a english saddle, saddle pad, girth, and bridle in her two hands. I stammered, "U-uh, n-not r-r-really..."

"Then let me show you." The lady stepped forward and set the stuff down. She grabbed a fleece saddle pad and said, "This is a saddle pad, it cushions the horse's back from the saddle. The thick part goes by their withers." She put it on,  and I watched carefully.

"Now this is the saddle. It's an english saddle. Put it on so it lays on the saddle pad, they're the same shape." The woman picked up the saddle, and gently put it on his back, "After that, you tighten the girth- this strap right here- and then slip the bridle on."

I watched as she tightened the fleece strap around Vegas' stomach, then took the gelding's halter off and slipped a metal piece into his mouth. The lady properly adjusted the bridle so it fit him and turned to me.

"Hello, I'm Sarah, one of the three trainers around here. I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier." She held out a hand and I quickly shook it.

"Hi, my name is Lara... and I have no clue how to ride. You don't plan on making me jump, right?" I said, looking at her with wide, frightened eyes.

"Honey, if you can ride english you can ride anything. And yes, you'll start jumping today with cross bars." She winked at me before walking to the massive tack room to grab me a well fitting helmet. She returned and properly adjusted it on my head.

"What does this do?" I asked, pointing at the plastic helmet.

"It protects your head if you ever fall. Overall, its very handy. When your trail riding, it also protects your head from trees." Sarah grinned and winked at me. "Now, let's go. Need help getting on Vegas?"

I looked over at the tall thoroughbred. "Yes, please, ma'am."

She led the thoroughbred gelding over to a mounting block and said, "Get on from the left side, and put your left foot in the metal stirrup. Then swing your other foot over the saddle and put that foot in the stirrup."

I nodded and followed her instructions, finding mounting being the easiest part of riding. She grabbed Vegas's reins gently and lead us over to the big arena, where she quietly showed me how to walk and trot. The fog made it hard to see but thanks to the arena lights I didn't have that problem anymore.

"Now go and try your first crossbar!" Sarah said, poiting at it,

I timidly nodded my head and tapped Vegas into a loyal trot. He moved with large strides and I posted whenever his left foot went forward. Soon we were heading straight at the small crossbar that couldn't be much taller then 4 inches....

With a huge leap, Vegas soared over the jump. My feet slid from the stirrups and I reached out for his neck, but it was too late.

I hit the soft ground with a huge THUD.