Just Right Outside

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. -Michael Jordan

*Lara*

I sat on the ground of the arena, feeling the chilly wood of the wall against my back. My heart thumped so hard in my chest, I swore that it made everything vibrate.

Sarah had told us that they'd been a emergency about an armed trespasser on the land, and every building-including the barn- was under lockdown.

Inside the arena with us were the two other trainers and their horses. I looked at the man, his stocky blood bay gelding standing beside him, totally relaxed. I then glanced at the other female, who was struggling to control her hyper and beautiful thoroughbred colt.

I sighed, thankful that Vegas wasn't acting like that thoroughbred. I watched Vegas as he stood, head low to the ground, totally calm. I kinda envied him, because right now all I could think about was dying...

Suddenly, Sarah stood up. "Ok guys! He left then property and the police are gonna search for him. That means that you need to be with somebody else where ever you go!" She announced brightly.

Many groans sounded from people who'd obviously dealt with this situation. Emily leaned over to me, "This sucks.. No privacy, ever!"

I groaned too. Great.... what a wonderful way to start out my summer at Brook View Riding Academy. I patted Vegas, thankful for his calm and relaxed attitude.

Slowly, I got onto my feet, my back and leg muscles aching painfully from the long fourty minutes of sitting. I yawned and went to go brush Vegas down again as a reward for not acting like that thoroughbred.

*vegas*

I leaned into the brush with every stroke, feeling the dirt be swiped free from my skin. it almost kind of tickled, but I loved it.

I closed my eyes and breathed quietly in pleasure, pushing into the brush as Lara ran it over my body with hard, swift strokes, brushing the terrible dust off me.

Afterwards, she lead me out to the pasture. I stood as Lara unclipped the halter than took it off my head, and then I trotted forward, nickering to let the geldings know my presence. I wasn't the top gelding, but I was pretty close to being the top gelding.

As I found the herd, I saw the lower geldings move away from the hay ring. Therefore, I reached inside the hay ring and quickly took some hay, munching carefully, alert and ready to move when the top gelding came around.

After having five more bites of hay, I heard a challenge come from the horizon and saw Cobalt charge toward us.

Cobalt was the top gelding. He was glistening black gelding, strong and swift with muscles that rippled with her move he made. He was graceful and a good jumper.

I moved aside and let Cobalt make sure all the geldings knew their place, warning the testy ones with bared teeth.

Cobalt walked to the hay ring and snaked his head inside the ring, snatching some hay and chewing peacefully.

Meanwhile, us geldings moved away and began to graze quietly, except for me. I trotted to the fence sperating us from the mares and foals. I called to my dam, and watched as a single steele grey mare looked up and gaze affectionately in my direction. She nudged her new foal, my half sister, over to us.

"Is this my new sister?" I asked, looking at the delicate filly with her long skinny legs and inquisitive eyes.

My dam nodded. "Yes, Vegas, this is our new half sister. She's gonna be something special, just like you are soon."

My heart was warmed with my dam's words. She was very gentle to all of us, but especially me. She'd told me that she'd had many colts and fillies throughout her life, but only few actually looked like they were to be something special. It turns out that they did become something special- either magnificent dressage performers and high standard jumping horses.

I sighed, my dam couldn't be right. I was only a simple school horse at the moment. I'd been to numerou shows, on numerous trails, and through hard classes with many students. They'd always called me their favorite.....

That was until each of them got their own horse, and I was soon just the mere lesson horse that Sarah used once again.

I blinked at my Dam and sighed. "Mother, I am nothing special. The kids tell me they love me. They braid my mane and tail for shows, wrap me up in cloth to protect me, and ride me to keep me fit. But their version of forever is just a few months, or even years maybe. Then they move, or get a horse of their own."

My Dam sighed. "Vegas, your smart and athletic. I don't see how you think your not special. You'll find somebody fit for you soon wether you think so or not."

"No, mom! I'm nothing different than everybody else! I mean, look at old Demi"- I stopped to thrust my muzzle at a fuzzy old grey hanoverian-" She can jump better than me!"

"Vegas!" My Dam said firmly, stomping her front hoof into the ground. "You are only five! Nobody has really tried you out yet, so cut yourself some slack!"

"No! I will NOT!"

And at that very moment, Cobalt came to break us up.