Closer to the End

A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom. -Robert Frost

*Lara*

I took a deep breath, then let it out.

Vegas and I were getting ready to do our first entire course of two feet jumps, and I was so nervous that I couldn't help but be excited too.

"Remember the course?" I heard Sarah call, but I tried to drain her voice out. All the mattered now was vegas and I.

"Yes." I quietly murmured, squeezing Vegas's sides and pushing him ownward into a canter.

We cantered around the edge of the arena, me keeping my butt planted into the comfy saddle and Vegas waiting for my two steer him.

As we finished our circle I turned him towards a chicken coop. I counted down in my head before rasing myself out of the saddle, just in time with Vegas and he launched himself into the air.

We landed gracefully and I immediatly turned him towards a gate jumps, which we sailed over almost perfectly.

While he was excelling, I was struggling in maintaining good position. Sarah had told me that if we showed lots of improvement within the next week, we'd be able to enter the Academy's horse show coming up soon as Hunter Jumpers.

However, hunter jumping is solely based upon perfect position. If I ever did something wrong, the judges would know and they'd knock some points off my score.

Sarah had told me that it never mattered what you were doing, you should always try to maintain perfect position.

Vegas and I headed for our last jump, the only three foot jump, a lonely liverpool that just wanted us to fail.

But we didn't.

I felt great as Vegas and I sailed over my first three foot jump ever. I felt like I could handle and entire course of three foot jumps now.

*Vegas*

Lara made sure that I knew how proud she was.

I recieved one nice, refreshing bath. She scrubbed me down with soap and afterwards I was positive that I was the only horse in the barn who smelled like apples. I didn't mind the delicous smell....

Especially since after putting me up, she gave me some apples, and lots of pats. My skin twitched as Lara ran the brush over me, it felt sooooo good!

Cera walked up to the bars seperating our stalls. "What did you do thats so great?"

"We cleared an entire course for the first time, including a three foot! She's so proud." I snorted triumphantly.

"I wish she could buy you. You'd be so much better with her," Cera said dreamily.

"You know that will never happen..."

*Lara*

I sat at a table with Emily, enjoying our heated conversation about horses while munching on homemade chocolate chip cookies.

"Your soooo lucky to have a horse!" I said, sighing. "I wish Vegas was mine. If somebody had told me a couple weeks ago that I'd soon love horses, I'd call them nuts!"

"I'm so glad you came out here! It would have been boring without you! Last year, there was only Daisy, Jake, and a few other people in our group. At the end of camp, when they had a big race with three groups- one for each trainer- we lost because we had such a small group." Emily grinned. "Not that thats the only reason I like you..."

"We'll so win this year!" I said pumping my fists.

"Yea!!"

Wait... the end of camp? Oh no.

-------------------------------

Would anyone like to see the point of veiws from Emily and Daisy? Or no?